NOW ALL GARTH BROOKS CONCERTS COULD BE CANCELLED

first_imgThousands of Donegal fans may not now get to see Garth Brooks.THE promoters behind Garth Brooks’ Croke Park concerts says all five could now be cancelled – after two were pulled by Dublin City Council earlier today.Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions told RTE that he was very disappointed the council turned down licenses for concerts on July 28 and 29.The council did give the go-ahead for three other gigs on July 25, 26 and 27. Mr Aiken told RTÉ News that the singer was “devastated” by the decision.The singer, said Mr Aiken, was upset that 160,000 fans would not now be able to see his shows on the cancelled dates.Many Donegal fans of the star queued for days to get tickets.He said that the Croke Park performances had grown from an initial two shows to a much bigger customised production, which would be a “once-off event” that would not be replicated anywhere else in the world. The production costs were scaled on this basis and it was not possible to simply stop two of the shows, he said.He said Aiken Promotions had been in daily contact with the council since the earliest stages of planning the concerts and it had never been indicated at any point that there was going to be a problem staging five shows.Already there have been numerous offers of alternative venues but the Aviva has already been ruled out.It’s thought all five shows will be either cancelled – or moved en bloc to a new venue.But accommodating 80,000 people at each gig will be impossible, with Slane already also ruled out. NOW ALL GARTH BROOKS CONCERTS COULD BE CANCELLED was last modified: July 3rd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:cancelledCroke ParkGarth Brookslast_img read more

Turkeys criticism of genocide motion rebuffed

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram “Let justice be done, souls consoled, broken hearts mended, nations reconciled and honour given to all those who perished.”Following the NSW Parliament’s adoption of a motion recognising genocide by Turkey of its Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities in the early 20th century, the Turkish Foreign Ministry’s condemnations of the motion have been rebuffed by NSW parliamentarians. Both houses of the state parliament passed the motion earlier this month, affirming the reality of genocides committed by Turkey in the 1910s and 1920s, which Turkey continues to deny. In a provocative reaction, the Turkish Foreign Ministry condemned the motion, calling it a “hate speech”, and adding that those responsible for it would in future “doubtlessly be deprived of the hospitality and friendship” normally extended to Australians. More specifically, the official statement said: “These persons who try to damage the spirit of Çanakkale/Gallipoli will also not have their place in the Çanakkale ceremonies where we commemorate together our sons lying side by side in our soil.” Member of the NSW Legislative Council Marie Ficarra has condemned the Turkish reaction, which implies the country would block NSW politicians from visiting Gallipoli for the centenary of Anzac in 2015. Ficarra has written to the Turkish Consul General saying that to politicise Gallipoli was “an unacceptable and irrational act” and that the ministry’s comments “diminishes Turkey’s credibility and reputation”. In his speech to the NSW Parliament on Tuesday, Reverend Fred Nile MP – who moved the motion – referred to a letter written by the Turkish Consul General to the NSW Parliament criticising its adoption.

 Mr Nile said that his intention was not to attack or denigrate the modern state of Turkey, but an action that drew on irrefutable conclusions reached by national and international scholarly groups. “The unanimous opinion is that the Assyrian, Armenian and Hellenic peoples were victims of genocide in the 1910s and 1920s,” said Mr Nile. “These genocides were carried out by the leaders of the Ottoman Empire, not the modern state of Turkey which has wonderful relations with Australia.”

 Mr Nile refuted suggestions made by the Turkish Consul General that the NSW Legislative Council resolution constituted “sowing the seeds of hatred” in Australia. Mr Nile said that as a representative of the Christian Democratic Party and the Parliament of New South Wales, “recognition of the genocides of the indigenous Assyrian, Armenian and Hellenic peoples of the Ottoman Empire is not simply a matter of history… the effects of the genocides continue to this day – it is an issue of international law and human rights.” Mr Nile vowed “to continue to advocate such issues at every opportunity. “Let justice be done, souls consoled, broken hearts mended, nations reconciled and honour given to all those who perished so needlessly during a dark hour in mankind’s recent history.”


 Mr Nile said in his response to the Turkish Consul General that the Genocide Recognition motion had a strong focus on the genocides “as part of the Australian national story”. “As documented in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Anzacs were captured and imprisoned as far south as the Sinai Peninsula, as far east as Mesopotamia – modern Iraq – as well as across Anatolia.”
 Mr Nile pointed out that the archives of the Australian War Memorial contained written and photographic evidence that the Anzacs rescued Armenians and Assyrians in Persia (Iran) and Mesopotamia (Iraq) – as well as during the Palestine Campaign. “Many of these Anzacs later became involved in an international humanitarian relief effort on behalf of the survivors for over a decade,” said the MP, who added that the events of the Assyrian, Armenian and Hellenic Genocides were documented by the Australian media before WWI and into the 1920s.last_img read more

Go back to the enewsletter Mandarin Oriental Hotel

first_imgGo back to the enewsletterMandarin Oriental Hotel Group has taken over management of CastaDiva Resort & Spa, an existing resort on Lake Como, Italy. The property will be rebranded as Mandarin Oriental, Lake Como in spring 2019 following a refurbishment of facilities. It will become Mandarin Oriental’s first resort in Western Europe and will complement the Group’s Milan hotel.Located on the shores of Lake Como and surrounded by botanic parkland, the resort is a landmark of historic importance comprising 76 rooms and suites housed in nine villas, dating from the 19th century. Two of the villas will be bookable in their entirety giving guests their own private retreat.Villa Amina Lake ComoAlmost all accommodation has lake views from either a balcony or terrace. The resort features four restaurants and bars, including a lakeside terrace for al fresco dining, a large spa with an indoor swimming pool and an outdoor floating pool on the lake. There’s also a variety of social and meeting facilities in the resort’s grounds.“We are delighted to be extending the Mandarin Oriental brand to the shores of Lake Como which has long been a destination of choice for luxury travellers. We look forward to bringing the Group’s exemplary service to the resort and to working with our partners to create one of Italy’s most exclusive properties,” said James Riley, Group Chief Executive of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group.CastaDiva Resort & Spa was acquired in 2017 by funds managed by Attestor Capital LLP. According to its website, the property is currently part of the Small Luxury Hotels collection.Go back to the enewsletterlast_img read more