“What we want is a change of mentality in the industry, but this is not a goal in itself. It should lead to a more sustainable world. “In that way, we are agnostic about the way we measure emissions, but the plan should be workable and lead to a change in behaviour,” Van Oostveen said.“In infrastructure, there is a lot to do, and in real estate we have already been working with carbon emissions for years. We have a structure in which managers report to us, so this looks like the easier investment category.”Van Oostveen said he remained agnostic on implementing a carbon cap or target for carbon emissions, but that the industry should be capable of creating a workable standard.In September 2014, the pension fund’s fiduciary asset manager, PGGM, signed up to the Montreal Carbon Pledge, as PFZW set about achieving its new goals by 2020.It vowed to quadruple its sustainable investments via a series of direct investments in green energy, clean technology and sustainable climate-related solutions.It will also compare companies in each industry and sector, subsequently picking the best performer with regards to CO2 emissions, via data from Sustainalytics and MSCI.Click here to read Liam Kennedy’s interview with PFZW director Peter Borgdorff and Van Oosterveen in June’s How We Run Our Money The €178bn pension fund for the Dutch health and welfare sector, PFZW, has said it wants to bring about a change in mentality over the pension sector’s approach to carbon emission management.The second-largest Dutch scheme recently overhauled its investment management with a new set of 11 principles to govern its approach, including a halving its ‘negative sustainability footprint’ and a creating systematic integration of sustainability in its investment process.Speaking in the June issue of IPE, head of investments Jan Willem van Oostveen said PFZW’s €55bn listed equity portfolio, with a carbon footprint of 1.2m tonnes, was a good place to start.However, he conceded it was difficult to assess in other asset classes, but that the fund needed to assess its carbon exposure across all investments, including within its €21bn credit portfolio and €36bn private market investments.
Image source: DamenDamen Shipyards Group has signed a contract with Gerd Stensen AS from Norway for the delivery of a Damen Stan Tug 1606. According to Damen, the client will apply the new vessel to their dredging operations.Gerd Stensen, like Damen, is a family company. Their dredging work includes but is not limited to the extraction of coral sand for the French agricultural industry.They have previously operated a Damen Stan Tug 1, still going strong after 36 years and recently sold to a vessel operator in the Baltics.Commenting the latest news, Damen Sales Manager Norway, Eirik Eide, said: “This is yet another example of how beneficial standardized stock building is for the maritime industry. Not only will the client receive a product that has proven itself in operations many times already, but the vessel is ready built for the fastest possibly delivery. In this way, Damen supports its clients of all sizes and all locations, throughout the world.” The order for the new Stan Tug 1606 came about when the client received a new contract for a dredging operation in the north of Norway.The tug will provide support to the dredging operation, manoeuvring a pontoon in the Norwegian fjords.
The 53-year-old resident Romel Riofrerwas arrested on the strength of an arrest warrant around 10 a.m. on March 4, apolice report showed. BACOLOD City – A murder suspect, who hadbeen hiding from the police for about 14 years, was nabbed in Barangay SanFernando, Talisay City, Negros Occidental. Judge Reynaldo Alon of the RegionalTrial Court Branch 40 in Silay City issued the warrant. Riofrer was detained in the lockup cellof the Talisay City police station. No bail bond was recommended for histemporary liberty./PN
It is time for schools to schedule boys and girls varsity basketball games on the same night. This format will make it much easier to satisfy Title IX and make sure gyms do not sit open on weekend nights. This is happening now to satisfy the Title IX requirement for equal girl and boy weekend games. This would require the reserve teams to either play during the week or at the same time in an alternate gym. Most 3A and 4A schools already have the extra gyms. You could alternate the reserve game and the varsity game so that reserve players could still play a quarter or two in the varsity game. This should fill gyms on weekend nights making more money for the athletic department and giving the girls the larger crowds they deserve.The girls would still have the two weeks in November and the boys the games in February when both would not be scheduled. This adds flexibility to that all-important equal number of weekend games. Some schools are already doing this.
Press Association Poyet, who will make his debut as Black Cats boss at Swansea a week on Saturday, says his ability to instil belief in his squad will be the biggest factor in the success or otherwise of their battle for survival. Poyet added: “When you are in the situation we are in everybody will say it is going to be very difficult. But the big thing is to believe and be convinced, and from what I have already seen I do believe that we can be saved now. “I need to convince the players, the staff, the fans and the directors that we need to really believe in this opportunity that we start today. It is my job to convince everybody and make sure everybody commits to the cause.” Vaughan said: “It’s a good appointment. Hopefully he can get us off the bottom of the league and improve on performances from the start of the season. “I don’t know a great deal about Gus but I’ve spoken to a few players who have played with or worked under him and they have had good things to say. “It’s not been a good start. We’ve been in the games and in the last two games we have been unlucky. The belief is there and we just need to get a couple of good results then you will see a different side. “I’ve not played in too many games so hopefully I can get in the team and get a good run of games, and hopefully we can win some games too. Under Paolo we did some good things, but it’s down to the players to improve on the results on the pitch.” Poyet sought to distance himself from Di Canio’s style of management when he was unveiled at the club’s Academy of Light training ground and revealed he will adopt a much different approach to man-management than his confrontational predecessor. Poyet said: “I think that (man-management) is one of the strongest parts of my attitude and my job. I think there is no better way for a manager to be judged than by talking to his players. “I have been a player for a long time and I have had many managers and they were all different. I tried to learn from them and analyse why they did things, and I believe what we are trying to do is the right thing. “My idea is to try to understand each player the way they are – they are all different, so I have to give them the best chance to perform and help them so I can pick the right team to win a game.” Sunderland midfielder David Vaughan has welcomed Gus Poyet’s arrival as the new Black Cats boss – but admitted it is up to the players to turn their dismal start to the Barclays Premier League season around. Poyet was confirmed as the successor to Paolo Di Canio on a two-year contract on Tuesday and will inherit a side stranded at the bottom of the table with just one win from their first seven games and already six points from safety. Like most first-team squad members Vaughan is on international duty with Wales so has not had a chance to meet his new boss – but is hopeful the appointment can help spark his side’s season into life.
“The club will be dedicating an area surrounding the Sir Bobby Robson statue for fans to pay their respects to John and Liam. “The manager and players will also be wearing black armbands for both their games against Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix in the Football United Tour of New Zealand. “Arrangements will be made to pay tribute to the two men at the club’s first Premier League game against Manchester City on Sunday, August 17. Further information regarding this will be announced in due course.” Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul has also paid his respects to the two men on Twitter. He said: “2 Geordies on plane MH17 travelling to watch Nufc in New Zealand. RIP John Adler and Liam Sweeney.. Our thoughts are with all the families.” Newcastle have paid tribute to two fans who died on flight MH17 on their way to support the club in New Zealand. Manager Alan Pardew, who was due to fly out to New Zealand with the squad on Friday afternoon, said: “Myself and all the players are deeply shocked and saddened by this terrible news. “We all knew how passionately John and Liam supported the team and the club. “They were with us just earlier this week for our first pre-season friendly against Oldham and their dedication to travel all the way around the world to support us in New Zealand tells you all you need to know about the passion they had for Newcastle United. “Our hearts go out to their families and friends.” The club is to dedicate an area around the Sir Bobby Robson statue at St James’ Park for fans to lay their tributes, and the manager and players will wear black armbands for the games against Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix. In addition, the lives of the two men will be marked at the first Barclays Premier League game of the season against Manchester City. Managing director Lee Charnley said: “The loss of John and Liam is truly devastating news. Both men were dedicated supporters of our club and were known to thousands of fans and staff alike. “On behalf of everyone at Newcastle United, we send our deepest condolences to John and Liam’s families and friends. John Alder and Liam Sweeney were aboard the Malaysian Airlines flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it crashed in Eastern Ukraine on Thursday afternoon. Mr Alder, who was known to many Magpies supporters as “the Undertaker” because of his distinctive matchday dress, had barely missed a game home and away in almost 50 years following the club. Press Association
The latest 5am update from the National Hurricane Center has Dorian moving westward at 1 mph.It remains a cat 5 storm with winds of 165 mph sustained.The northward turn is still expected to take place between 5-11 tonight.https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
As 2016 starts, Syracuse puts an NCAA investigation and sanctions, two national titles and the hiring of a new football coach in the past and gets to work on a fresh slate. From the men’s basketball team’s return to the postseason to the future of the Carrier Dome, here are the five biggest storylines surrounding Syracuse sports entering the new year.Dino Babers enters first season as football head coachBabers took over the reigns as Syracuse’s head coach from Scott Shafer in early December. The next eight months will be filled with anticipation for the new offensive scheme Babers plans to install, but it won’t be fully on display until Sept. 3 against Colgate. Babers is tasked with turning around a football team that’s won just seven games in the past two seasons, but he expressed enthusiasm at his introductory press conference. He told those in attendance to close their eyes and imagine a raucous Carrier Dome, a suffocating defense and an electrifying offense that doesn’t huddle. Whether that becomes a reality or not, only time will tell.Men’s basketball team returns to postseasonWhile it’s too early to tell whether or not Syracuse will make the NCAA Tournament, the Orange will be participating in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. Coming off a season in which the Orange self-imposed a postseason ban, SU is eligible again, but has already lost three nonconference games. That had only happened four times in the last 25 years prior to this season. The first three, Syracuse missed the NCAA Tournament and played in the National Invitation Tournament instead. The most recent time, last season, the Orange wasn’t eligible for the postseason. If Syracuse misses the NCAA Tournament, it would only be the third time during Jim Boeheim’s tenure the Orange have missed the tournament in back-to-back seasons.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSam Maller | Staff Photographer Related Stories Top 15 Syracuse sports storylines of 2015 The future of the Carrier DomeThe Carrier Dome enters its 36th year in 2016, and discussions about its future have been ongoing. Chancellor Kent Syverud said in October that Syracuse is “teed up” for a decision this academic year.The three possible options for the Dome are to replace the current roof, install a new roof structure while renovating the entire building or build a different stadium off-site. The third option is the least likely, according to university and city leaders.Daily Orange File Photo Eric Dungey’s healthQuarterback Eric Dungey is coming off a freshman season in which he missed parts of four games after being hit in the head against Central Michigan and Louisville. He suffered other blows to the head against Virginia and Pittsburgh but didn’t come out of those games. Coaches said they tried teaching him to slide in the open field and throw the ball away, but he often didn’t heed their advice. Entering 2016, his health is the biggest question mark for Syracuse football, outside of what Babers will bring to the table. In eight games, Dungey racked up 1,298 yards on 105-of-176 passes while throwing 11 touchdowns to just five interceptions. He also ran for 351 yards on 91 carries. With an offseason to rest, he is Syracuse’s best quarterback, but his health will be worth watching.Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer Comments Published on December 31, 2015 at 3:50 pm National championship defenders and contendersSyracuse’s field hockey and men’s cross country teams are both coming off national championship seasons and look to defend their titles next fall. Men’s soccer, which made the Final Four, returns most of its roster and should also contend for a title. Field hockey’s national title was SU’s first-ever title in a women’s sport after reaching the Final Four in three of the last four years. The cross-country team only graduates one — Martin Hehir — of its top three runners, which includes sophomores Colin Bennie and Justyn Knight.Meanwhile, the men’s lacrosse team is ranked eighth in Inside Lacrosse’s preseason poll and attempts to end its six-year championship drought, its longest since the inception of the NCAA tournament. The women’s lacrosse team has reached the Final Four in each of the past four seasons, but hasn’t come away with a national title.Katherine Sotelo | Web Designer Facebook Twitter Google+
In today’s final – which was played in Ballygiblin – they defeated Scoil Phobal Rathmore of Kerry 1-12 to 2-4.Loreto’s Kelly Ann Hogan was selected as Player of the Match.
As each year closes, people tend to repeat the same words, “Where did the time go so fast?” But, for some reason 2018 seem to have zipped by with unusual speed.The year is leaving with hopes fulfilled for some, and disappointments, and perhaps pain, for others. But, for America as a whole, the days approaching the end of 2018, are not much different, and probably worse, than when the year started. Unfortunate divisionsThe year is ending with the unfortunate divisions, mostly bred by politics, that has engulfed the nation in recent years. It just seems impossible for people of opposing ideologies and political views to come to any compromise on crucial policies that affects the nation in generally.For some its extremely depressing and frustrating to be privy to the relentless news of discord among the nation’s leaders, especially the discord in arriving at consensus on how to protect the nation borders.It cannot be disputed that it’s vitally important to protect the nation borders from infiltration by illegal immigrants. But it is questionable if the solution is to spend billions of dollars building walls and barriers along the borders to prevent people from crossing illegally, or using part of the billions to stem the flow of immigrants fleeing poor countries. People from Central American countries like El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, the Caribbean, Latin American and other nations continue to attempt to come to America, although most are aware of the country’s anti-immigration policies.Illegal immigrants fleeing economic conditionsIllegal immigrants keep coming to America, not just because they are fleeing crime, and gang violence in their home countries, but primarily because of prevailing depressing social and economic conditions.There are those who believe US should initiate a Latin, Central America and Caribbean Economic Plan similar to the European Recovery Program, otherwise known as the Marshall Plan that aided economic development in Europe after World War II. They believe this would alleviate the track of illegal immigrants to America.. Economic challenges continue to blight countries in the Latin, Central America and Caribbean region. The challenges seem worse in Central America resulting in serious unemployment, lack of opportunity for the youth, and the very serious problem of gang violence.US aid could generate economic turn aroundCertainly, a well-managed economic plan by the US to provide aid to these countries could generate an economic turnaround, provide economic hope and benefits for the people of the region, and stem the flow of illegal migrants leaving for America. In fact, the new president of Mexico, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has proposed such a plan to US President Donald Trump. Obrador’s plan calls for the US to provide $30 billion over five years in job-creating economic development assistance to Central America. People driven by desperationIt is doubtful even if the US succeeds in building a massive wall along its southern border this will stop the flow of illegal immigrants. The people fleeing their lands hoping for a better life are driven by desperation and will try to find every means of by-passing this wall. Instead of engaging in seemingly harsh policies of using military might against these people, and placing young children in detention centers, much more could be achieved by initiating measures that make it better for these people to remain in their home countries.America has and continues to be the big, rich brother of the Western Hemisphere. For the other countries in the Hemisphere there is no shortage of news of the wealth and economic opportunities that’s in America. There are pragmatic ways in which America can help these countries to improve themselves economically, and benefit from America’s wealth, without their people seeking to come to America on an illegal basis.It does seem that the best solution to America’s illegal immigration problem is to provide the means to improve the economic base of these countries. Hundreds of miles of wall won’t deterIf the countries of Latin, Central America and the Caribbean continue to experience severe economic challenges hundreds of miles of existing barriers or a wall at the border will not really stop illegal immigration. The most effective long-term solution may be to tackle the illegal immigration problem at the source in other countries in the Western Hemisphere. As 2019 approaches it is hoped the US president and the US Congress will give serious consideration to study and evaluate plans for a Latin, Central American and Caribbean Economic Plan which could go a long way to alleviating the nation’s illegal immigration problem. Many believe such a plan will involve more sensible spending of money than building an expensive border wall.