The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is intent on turning the Constitution upside down and erasing the word ‘secular’ from it, said Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Ajit Pawar on Tuesday. Mr. Pawar was speaking at the ‘Samvidhan Bachao Parishad’ (Save the Constitution Conference) organized by the NCP women’s wing in Aurangabad district.“BJP leader [and Minister of State for Skill Development] Anant Kumar Hegde had openly said in the Lok Sabha last year that his party had come to power to change the Constitution. His statements are a reflection of the true intentions of Narendra Modi,” said Mr. Pawar. It will be a “social and economic disaster for the country and the State” if the BJP came to power for a second term, he added.The NCP leader alleged that the BJP had plunged Maharashtra into a ₹5 lakh crore debt, while utterly failing to generate employment. “The BJP seems to have no agenda for the backward classes or the minorities. It is only bent on polarizing society along caste and communal lines,” Mr. Pawar said.Senior NCP leaders MP Supriya Sule and Dhananjay Munde, the Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council were also present at the event.If the BJP comes to power again, it will overturn the Constitution given to us by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar by 2022 and destabilize the country, Mr. Munde said.Referring to Mr. Pawar as the “future Chief Minister,” Mr. Munde said that freedom of speech and dissent was being gagged by the NDA government. “Journalists are not being allowed to present the true picture. Constitutional rights are being trampled upon. Now, it is up to the electorate to change the political scenario by voting the BJP out,” he said.
NDRF rescues people in Vadodara following flash floods due to heavy rainfall NDRF rescues people in Vadodara following flash floods due to heavy rainfallVolume 90%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard ShortcutsPlay/PauseSPACEIncrease Volume↑Decrease Volume↓Seek Forward→Seek Backward←Captions On/OffcFullscreen/Exit FullscreenfMute/UnmutemSeek %0-9Live00:0001:4101:41 Incessant rainfall has caused the death of four people in a wall collapse in Vadodara, besides causing floods and affecting life in the city. Nearly 5,000 people from over two dozen low-lying areas were shifted by the NDRF (National Disaster Response Force). Most of the roads were completely inundated.The government has deployed nine teams of the NDRF, besides the Army and the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) to evacuate people from areas along the Vishwamitri river that is flowing to the danger level mark. According to the State Emergency Operation Center (SEOC), a total of five NDRF and four SDRF teams have been involved in rescue operations in addition to two columns of the Army and as many companies of the State Reserve Police (SRP).Additionally, district police and teams of fire brigade of Vadodara and Surat Municipal Corporations have been deployed for a major rescue operation in the city which had seen an extremely heavy downpour of 499 mm on Wednesday.The district authorities ordered the closure of all schools and colleges on Friday. The operations at the city airport were shut on Thursday.Waterlogging of tracksFlooding has disrupted traffic movement as the authorities shut down all eight bridges in the city. The Western Railway has cancelled over a dozen trains due to waterlogging of tracks.“Five teams of the NDRF have been airlifted from Pune to join the evacuation works in Vadodara. CM has deputed a team of senior bureaucrats from Gandhinagar to oversee rescue and relief works,” a Gujarat government release stated.More than one lakh food packets were distributed by the NDRF and police in localities submerged in knee-deep waters.According to Vadodara Collector Shalini Agrawal, water was not receding because of the opening of sluice gates of the Ajwa dam and inflow of more water due to rains in the catchment area of the Vishwamitri.Floodwaters have entered the Sayajibaug zoo and government-run SSG hospital, besides local markets.On Thursday evening, the State energy division restored power in some of the areas where supply was stopped after four dozen feeders were submerged. “We have restored power in some areas but still several areas are in dark,” a government official said.“Four labourers were killed in a wall collapse due to heavy rain in Chhani area of Vadodara,” Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said after holding a review meeting in capital Gandhinagar.
TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion In a flyweight Muay Thai Super Series, Jonathan Haggerty of the United Kingdom topped Joseph Lasiri of Italy by unanimous decision in a bloody encounter.The taller Haggerty set the tone and decked Lasiri with an elbow to the head late in the first round.Lasiri, however, kept his aggressiveness in the last two rounds despite the knockdown and was even able to deal major damage to Haggerty, who left with a bloodied nose after taking a crushing knee.Indonesia took another loss after Priscilla Hertati Lumban Gaol fell to the gutsy Puja Tomar of India by split decision.In the last undercard bout, Thailand’s Mongkol Petch Petchyindee Academy handily beat New Zealand’s Alexi Serepisos by unanimous decision in their flyweight Muay Thai Super Series.ADVERTISEMENT Lee went to work from the get-go and easily took down Kelly before getting on a full mount for the ground and pound.The 20-year-old Lee also avenged his disqualification loss to Kelly four months ago.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsWith the quick victory, Lee has his sight set on another crack at the belt currently held by Martin Nguyen.“Absolutely. I want that belt,” said Lee, who had already lost to Nguyen twice. MOST READ ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight PLAY LIST 00:52ONE CEO believes Joshua Pacio won the fight01:04Team Lakay’s rough start lights a fire under Danny Kingad01:48Trump awards Penske Presidential Medal02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Christian Lee. Photo from ONE ChampionshipJAKARTA, Indonesia—Christian Lee had said he wanted a first-round finish and he stayed true to his word Saturday night.Lee, the former featherweight title contender, made quick work of Filipino Edward Kelly, stopping the Team Lakay veteran at the 2:53 mark of the opening round in ONE: Eternal Glory at Istora Senayan here.ADVERTISEMENT Matthew Wright, Louie Alas hope OT victories strengthen Phoenix LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño LATEST STORIES SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Kolkata: Two persons have been arrested on Wednesday in connection with a case in which a restaurant on Prince Anwar Shah Road was allegedly ransacked by some youths on Tuesday afternoon.According to the police, the miscreants entered a restaurant looking for Arnab Chatterjee, the owner of the restaurant, in a bid to teach him a lesson. When the manager of the restaurant asked the reason, the youths allegedly assaulted him, including some staff members who tried to resist. Following this, the youths allegedly broke the glass of the tables and vandalised the restaurant before fleeing. They also threatened the manager and other staff members with dire consequences. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaAfter Arnab was informed about the incident, he rushed to the restaurant and called up Lake police station and sought help. He also lodged a complaint at the Lake police station against five-six unknown persons and stated that one Raja Chatterjee (residing in Regent Park area) with whom Arnab’s wife has an affair, was behind the act. Arnab also informed the cops that because of matrimonial discord, both he and his wife were living separately since long. Different cases on the issue are still pending in court. On Monday night, Arnab went to Raja’s flat in Regent Park area following which an altercation took place. Arnab alleged that on Monday his wife threatened him with dire consequences following which the restaurant was ransacked. Based on Arnab’s complaint, police checked the CCTV footage of the restaurant and arrested two youths, identified as Rik Dey of Purba Putiary and Subhankar Dhali of Purba Ananda Pally in Regent Park area on Wednesday.
Kolkata: In a departure from the norm, the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education (WBBSE) on Tuesday announced that question paper packets will henceforth be opened in front of Class 10 candidates, shortly before the commencement of the examination. Earlier, the sealed packets were broken in the office of the institution’s headmaster and papers sorted accordingly before distribution among the students. “From 2019, the sealed question packets of Madhyamik examination (Class 10 board exam) will be opened by invigilators in front of students in the examination hall and distributed accordingly,” board president Kalyanmoy Ganguly said. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life Sources said the WBBSE decision came in the wake of reports that the headmaster of a Jalpaiguri school, during the 2018 secondary examination, opened sealed question papers 35 minutes before the scheduled time. The headmaster was suspended by the board after he failed to give a satisfactory reply to a showcause notice issued to him. There were also reports of question paper leak on WhatsApp in 2017, but the board, back then, asserted that the paper circulated was “fake”. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killed Ganguly said the WBBSE members, along with officer in-charge of local police station and a district administration official, will hold meetings with the head of examination centres to ensure that the measures were implemented without glitches. “This time, the number of question papers in the packets will tally with the number of examinees in the hall. There will be no sorting beforehand,” he said. The new measure was aimed at ensuring that exams were conducted in a transparent manner, Ganguly added.
Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Even though many doctors see need for improvement, surgical robots are poised for big gains in operating rooms around the world.Within five years, one in three U.S. surgeries — more than double current levels — is expected to be performed with robotic systems, with surgeons sitting at computer consoles guiding mechanical arms. Companies developing new robots also plan to expand their use in India, China and other emerging markets.Robotic surgery has been long dominated by pioneer Intuitive Surgical Inc., which has more than 3,600 of its da Vinci machines in hospitals worldwide and said last week the number of procedures that used them jumped by 16 percent in the second quarter compared to a year earlier.The anticipated future growth — and perceived weaknesses of the current generation of robots — is attracting deep-pocketed rivals, including Medtronic Inc. and a startup backed by Johnson & Johnson and Google. Developers of the next wave aim to make the robots less expensive, more nimble and capable of performing more types of procedures, company executives and surgeons told Reuters.Although surgical robots run an average of $1.5 million and entail ongoing maintenance expenses, insurers pay no more for surgeries that utilize the systems than for other types of minimally-invasive procedures, such as laparoscopy.Still, most top U.S. hospitals for cancer treatment, urology, gynecology and gastroenterology have made the investment. The robots are featured prominently in hospital marketing campaigns aimed at attracting patients, and new doctors are routinely trained in their use.Surgical robots are used in hernia repair, bariatric surgery, hysterectomies and the vast majority of prostate removals in the United States, according to Intuitive Surgical data.Doctors say they reduce fatigue and give them greater precision.But robot-assisted surgery can take more of the surgeon’s time than traditional procedures, reducing the number of operations doctors can perform. That’s turned off some like Dr. Helmuth Billy.Billy was an early adopter of Intuitive’s da Vinci system 15 years ago. But equipping its arms with instruments slowed him down. He rarely uses it now.”I like to do five operations a day,” Billy said. “If I have to constantly dock and undock da Vinci, it becomes cumbersome.”Surgeons’ wish listTo gain an edge, new robots will need to outperform laparoscopic surgery, said Dr. Dmitry Oleynikov, who heads a robotics task force for the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons.Surgeons told Reuters they want robots to provide a way to feel the body’s tissue remotely, called haptic sensing, and better camera image quality.New systems also will need to be priced low enough to entice hospitals and outpatient surgical centers that have not yet invested in a da Vinci, as well as convince those with established robotic programs to consider a second vendor or switching suppliers altogether.”That is where competitors can differentiate,” said Vik Srinivasan of the Advisory Board Co., a research and consulting firm that advises hospitals.Developers say they are paying attention. Verb Surgical, the J&J-Google venture that is investing about $250 million in its project, said creating a faster and easier-to-use system is a priority.Verb also envisions a system that is “always there, always on,” enabling the surgeon to use the robot for parts of a procedure as needed, said Chief Executive Scott Huennekens.Intuitive said it too is looking to improve technology at a reasonable cost, but newcomers will face the same challenges.”As competitors come in, they are going to have to work within that same framework,” CEO Gary Guthart said in an interview.Device maker Medtronic has said it expects to launch its surgical robot before mid-2018 and will start in India. Others developing surgical robots include TransEnterix Inc. and Canada’s Titan Medical Inc.An RBC Capital Markets survey found that U.S. surgeons expect about 35 percent of operations will involve robots in five years, up from 15 percent today.J&J, which hopes to be second to market with a product from Verb, has said it sees robotics as a multibillion-dollar market opportunity. Huennekens said Verb’s surgical robot will differ from another Google robotics effort, the driverless car, in one important aspect.”There will always be a surgeon there,” he said.(Reporting by Susan Kelly; Editing by Michele Gershberg and Lisa Girion) This story originally appeared on Reuters July 28, 2016 4 min read Register Now »
Last month, the Intercept informed that Google is reportedly building a prototype search engine for China called ‘Dragonfly’ which lead to Google employees pressuring Google to abandon the project on ethical grounds. Google has then appeased their employees stating that the project was simply an exploration and nowhere near completion. Now, there are fresh reports from the Intercept that Google’s custom search engine would link Chinese users’ search queries to their personal phone numbers, thus making it easier for the government to track their searches. This means those who search for banned information could be interrogated or detained if security agencies got hold of Google’s search records. According to The intercept, Dragonfly will be designed for Android devices, and would remove content considered to be sensitive by China’s authoritarian Communist Party regime- which includes information about freedom of speech, dissidents, peaceful protest and human rights. Citing anonymous sources familiar with the plan—including a Google whistleblower having “moral and ethical concerns” about Google’s role in censorship, the Intercept revealed that “programmers and engineers at Google have created a custom Android app” which has already been demonstrated to the Chinese government. The finalized version could be launched in the next six to nine months, after the approval from Chinese officials. What this means to other nations and to Google China has strict cyber surveillance, and the fact that this tech giant is bending to China’s demands is a topic of concern for US legislators as well as citizens of other countries. Last week, in an Open letter to Google CEO Sundar Pichai, the US Senator for Florida Marco Rubio led by a bipartisan group of senators, expresses his concerns over the project being “deeply troubling” and risks making “Google complicit in human rights abuses related to China’s rigorous censorship regime”. He also requests answers for several unanswered doubts. For instance, what changed since Google’s 2010 withdrawal from China to make the tech giant comfortable in cooperating with China’s rigorous censorship regime. This project is also driving attention from users all over the Globe. Source: Reddit Google has not yet confirmed the existence of Dragonfly, and has publicly declined to comment on reports about the project. The only comment released to Fox News from a Google spokesperson on Sunday was that it is just doing ‘exploratory’ work on a search service in China and that it is ‘not close to launching a search product.’ In protest to this project last month, more than 1,000 employees had signed an open letter asking the company to be transparent. Now, some employees have taken the next step by resigning from the company altogether. This is not the first time that Google employees have resigned in protest over one of the company’s projects. Earlier this year, Project Maven, a drone initiative for the US government that could weaponize their AI research caused a stir among at least a dozen employees who reportedly quit over the initiative. The scrutiny on Google’s take on privacy has continued to intensify. It is about time the company starts taking into consideration all aspects of a user’s internet privacy. To know more about Project ‘Dragonfly’, head over to The intercept. Read Next Google’s ‘mistakenly deployed experiment’ covertly activated battery saving mode on multiple phones today Did you know your idle Android device sends data to Google 10 times more often than an iOS device does to Apple? Bloomberg says Google, Mastercard covertly track customers’ offline retail habits via a secret million dollar ad deal