The Shelter Cove salmon bite is finally starting to show signs of life. On Monday, a private boater landed four kings just outside the Hat in roughly 150 feet of water. The kings were caught close to the surface and were loaded with krill. On Tuesday, Captain Jake Mitchell of Sea Hawk Sport Fishing boated his first four kings of the season. “There’s a lot of krill showing up and all the fish were plugged with it. If all the bait sticks around, the fishing should only get better,” he said. If …
Kylian Mbappe hints at move away from PSG Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP View comments A message seeking comment was left for race officials.Walsh University in North Canton said the Medina woman graduated this spring and had been a member of the women’s soccer team. DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting LATEST STORIES CLEVELAND — A 22-year-old woman running in the Cleveland Marathon has collapsed and died.University Hospitals spokesman George Stamatis says Taylor Ceepo collapsed at Sunday’s race and was dead on arrival at the hospital. He couldn’t provide further information because of patient privacy.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Cuyahoga (cy-uh-HOH’-guh) County Medical Examiner’s Office says the cause of death hasn’t been determined.The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Cristine Torek, a public relations specialist for the marathon, said Ceepo had nearly finished the race when she collapsed. The race’s estimated 15,000 runners were told they could run or walk as temperatures reached into the 80s.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess
Real Madrid coach Santiago Solari: Isco can play anywhereby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Santiago Solari insists he has no set position for Isco.Solari was happy with the midfielder for the 2-2 draw with Villareal.He said, “I believe that Isco’s a player with that much quality that he can operate anywhere on the pitch. “Sometimes it’s not all about making the difference with pace, but rather by using your quality, creativity and technique. “Each player has their own qualities.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
CALGARY, A.B. – Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says he shares Albertan’s “frustration” at billions of dollars being lost to the Canadian economy due to oil price discounts linked to export pipeline capacity constraints.But he says Ottawa is focused on finding long-term solutions by getting approval for new export pipelines such as the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project it bought in August and by pursuing Bill C-69 to reform the National Energy Board.Following a speech at an Energy Council of Canada forum in downtown Calgary, Sohi told reporters the key to building pipelines is building trust in regulatory processes and engaging affected parties early on so that approvals aren’t overturned, as was the case with Trans Mountain. The judge that overturned that project’s NEB approval cited a lack of meaningful consultations with Indigenous people and failure to consider marine environmental impacts.An NEB reconsideration of the identified issues is expected to conclude by February but Sohi said he won’t put a deadline on new Indigenous consultations now underway.Asked about an Alberta request in October for the federal government to support crude-by-rail shipments, Sohi said the Alberta request is being examined by his department but he hasn’t actuallyseen it.“My administration has been engaging with the province of Alberta, their officials and the officials from other provinces to explore options, options that can work, options that are practical to implement and options that will actually give us the ability to transport Alberta resources in a way that needs to be done,” he said.“Those are short-term solutions but the long-term solution ismaking sure pipeline capacity is expanded.”Asked then what options are being considered, he said: “I don’t know what those options are. Officials are engaging with the provincial officials.”
Paris: Saudi Arabia has slashed its oil production by more than promised as part of a pact to boost oil prices, the International Energy Agency said Thursday, while warning of mixed signals for global demand. In its latest monthly oil market report, the Paris-based IEA said production by OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia dropped to its lowest level in two years in March after the cartel agreed to cuts with Russia and other ex-Soviet states. However the IEA warned that demand fell in developed OECD countries by 0.3 million barrels per day (mbd) in the last three months of 2018 — “the first such fall for any quarter since the end of 2014”. OECD demand “is likely to have fallen again” in the first quarter of this year, it added, “due to weakness in some European economies, with perhaps more to come if there is a disorderly Brexit”. While demand in China, India and the United States grew, the OECD warned that “the oil market shows signs of tightening” amid “mixed signals” over the global economic outlook. In recent months the forecasts for global economic growth have been trimmed back on concerns about the impact of trade disputes, which come as export powerhouse China has been experiencing slower rates of expansion. OPEC production meanwhile fell by 0.55 mbd in March to 30.13 mbd — a four-year low — largely due to cuts in Saudi Arabia and crisis-hit Venezuela, the IEA said. Venezuela is an OPEC member but exempt from the cuts as it struggles with political turmoil, sanctions and repeated power blackouts. After a production glut lead to prices dropping last year, OPEC members and allies including Russia agreed in December to trim production. OPEC states have complied by 153 percent to their pledged production cuts made under the so-called Vienna Agreement, the IEA said. However non-OPEC states in the group have complied at a rate of 64 percent, with Russia lagging behind its target cuts. “Russia continues to adjust output gradually,” the IEA said, adding that “if the producers deliver on their promises, the market could return to balance” in the second quarter of this year. The concerted push to lower prices has been successful, with the price of Brent crude rising from 50 a barrel in December to above 71 in early April.
Madrid- Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa defended his decision to represent Spain rather than his homeland Brazil, claiming it was the right thing to do.The 25-year-old’s choice to play for the world champions was confirmed on Tuesday and Costa is now expected to be named in Vicente del Bosque’s squad for two friendly fixtures in November next week.“It was quite a difficult decision to choose between the country where you were born and the country that has given you everything, which is Spain,” he said on Atletico’s website. “I looked at it, weighed it up and the correct thing is to play for Spain because here I have done everything, all that I have in my life and that I have been given has been in this country.“I feel a special love for this country, here I feel very valued for what I do every day and I feel the love of the people.”Costa had also been included in Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s preliminary squad for their two friendlies against Honduras and Chile next month.However, Scolari confirmed on Tuesday that Costa was no longer part of his plans and slammed the player’s decision to “turn his back on the dream of millions.”Costa had represented Brazil twice as recently as March in friendly games against Italy and Russia.However, as he hadn’t played a competitive international he was still able to switch his allegiance to Spain.“I want the people to understand that in no moment was I giving up on Brazil,” he added.“I don’t see it like that. Simply that here I feel very valued and played my whole career.“I have family in Brazil, it is where I was born and where, hopefully, I will live once I stop playing football. I hope that the people understand and respect that.”The demand for Costa’s services from two of the favourites to lift next year’s World Cup represents a huge turnaround in the career of a player that only became a first-team regular at Atletico last season.Although he came up through the youth ranks at Barcelona Esportivo Capela in Sao Paulo, his first professional contract was with Sporting Braga in Portugal, whom he joined in February 2006.After joining Los Rojiblancos in 2007, he was farmed out on loan to Celta Vigo, Albacete, Valladolid and finally Rayo Vallecano.However, on his return to Atletico from Rayo last July, he was imbedded into a side on the up since the arrival of coach Diego Simeone in December 2011.Costa struck up a fine partnership with Radamel Falcao and was the top scorer in the Copa del Rey as Atletico won the competition for the first time in 17 years.This season, with Falcao having left to join Monaco, he has become Atletico’s focal point and leads the league with 11 goals in 10 games, three more than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.And he also made a huge impact on his Champions League debut last week with a double, including one sensational solo effort, as Atletico continued their 100 percent record in the competition with a 3-0 win at Austria Vienna.
Inside and outside of Columbus, there is a crusade-like movement to put an end to the Jim Tressel era at Ohio State. Like King Leonidas in the movie “300,” I’ll lead the charge of the outmanned against the mass of millions who want to take out the OSU football coach. This much is clear already: Tressel is not going to step down neither because of withholding information from the NCAA nor because of any punishment levied against him. If anything, he’s now entrenching himself even deeper as an OSU football coach by refusing to step down while simultaneously increasing the pressure on the administration to fire him. Fortunately for him, athletic director Gene Smith and university President E. Gordon Gee gave him their full support during their press conference March 8. Imagine banning OSU from the inaugural Big Ten Championship Game and a bowl game. Can the NCAA bring itself to do it? So far, the only hit the program as a whole has taken is its reputation in the media. And the media onslaught isn’t forgiving toward Tressel. Sports Illustrated’s Stewart Mandel wrote Monday: “Tressel’s tenure at Ohio State is numbered. It may even be over before the end of the calendar year.” This isn’t really a fresh take. It should have been evident since the original story came out that Tressel intentionally misled investigators in an effort to protect his players and their eligibility. If you didn’t believe he should have been fired a month ago, there’s no reason why Monday’s findings should change your mind. Nor should it increase the likelihood that he gets fired. He did violate his contract, and that is a fireable offense by the terms of his agreement with the university. It’s hard to say that’s honorable. Yet, in defiantly standing against the NCAA, he is honorable. Tressel had the option of sending a dagger into the dreams of a potential national championship season last year. Instead, he’s now daring the NCAA to slam the Buckeye football program. Is he putting the program in jeopardy? Not at all, considering the NCAA’s tendencies. If it proves to be as gutless as it usually is in handing out punishments, then the only one who should — and probably will — get hit hard is Tressel himself. Some media members are speculating that a bowl ban is a potential penalty. That would equate this situation to USC, which received a two-year bowl ban after former running back Reggie Bush received improper benefits. If OSU compliance has been as up-front about the situation as it leads on, there is no lack of institutional control here, unlike at USC. OSU athletics is a sacred cow and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA. With the slew of victories and Big Ten titles under Tressel’s watch, that hit isn’t even enough to make a dent to the people who matter most: potential recruits and current players. To them, Tressel’s legacy and the program’s reputation are as sterling as ever. I know Leonidas and his soldiers meet death in the end, but Tressel will survive this NCAA onslaught.
Contrary to what Ohio State said earlier this week, junior running back Jordan Hall, sophomore defensive back Corey Brown and junior defensive back Travis Howard will not be available for the game against Toledo on Saturday. OSU issued a statement late Friday afternoon that said Hall, Howard and Brown have not yet been reinstated by the NCAA, and therefore, will not participate in Saturday’s game against Toledo. “The university continues to work with the NCAA on the reinstatement process and is hopeful that the student-athletes will be reinstated soon,” the statement said. The statement also said that the university would have no further comment on the matter. The NCAA released a statement just minutes after OSU released its statement, clarifying some things concerning the players’ eligibility. “The nature and scope of their violations merit a minimum two-game suspension,” the NCAA’s statement read. “The facts submitted by the university have raised further questions that need to be answered before the reinstatement process is complete.” Thursday, it was reported that the players received $200 in cash during a fundraiser. This is consistent with the university’s statement last week, that the three players received impermissible benefits totaling less that $300 each. The Buckeyes will now continue to rely on the running back tandem of sophomore Carlos Hyde and freshman Rod Smith, the two backs featured in last Saturday’s game against Akron. There is a chance that sophomore running back Jaamal Berry will be available this week as well, but Berry has been nursing a hamstring injury and his status is uncertain.
Members of the OSU women’s volleyball team huddle during a game against Lipscomb on Dec. 5 in Lexington, Ky., during the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament. OSU won, 3-0.Credit: Chris Slack / Lantern photographerLEXINGTON, Ky. — Heading into a match against Lipscomb, Ohio State women’s volleyball coach Geoff Carlston had faced the Bisons once in his tenure at OSU, and won. Now he can say he’s 2-0.The Buckeyes (22-11) swept Lipscomb (25-20, 25-14, 25-18) in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday night, and now have less than a day to prepare for their next opponent.“I thought we played great defense, which we knew we needed to do because they’re such a great defensive team,” Carlston said. “So it was a really good match. Obviously I’m really happy and excited we’re moving on.”In the first two sets alone, the Buckeyes had 16 blocks total, while the Bisons (21-9) had zero. Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Sandbothe totaled for six in those two sets before finishing the night with 10, which is a career-high. Senior setter Taylor Sherwin tallied six total blocks, which was the second highest between the two teams.Freshman outside hitter Luisa Schirmer led all players in kills with 12 and added eight digs. With this being her first NCAA tournament action, she said she was glad her teammates were behind her all the way.“I (felt) full confidence with my team behind me,” Schirmer said. “And I think that’s a great attitude going into our next match.”Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger tallied 10 kills, which was tied for the second-most kills in the match.Since the Buckeyes played at 5 p.m. on Friday in Lexington, Ky., they have a chance to scout their next potential opponent live.“As a team we’re going to go and watch both teams, see what they do and how they play,” Sekinger said.In addition to her six blocks, Sherwin had a game-high 32 assists on the night and added nine digs, while sophomore libero Valeria León had a game-high 17 digs and had the Buckeyes two lone service aces.With a game-high 25 blocks, the Buckeyes are looking to carry over their defense into Saturday’s game.“I think if we take our style of play that we played tonight into our next match, tomorrow night, I think that will help us and we can build from that,” Sekinger said.Bison senior outside hitter Lauren Ford was the lone Bison to score double-digit kills with 10. Freshman setter Kayla Ostrom assisted on 28 of her teams 31 kills.The Buckeyes are scheduled to play the winner of No. 13 Kentucky and the Horizon League champions Oakland. The match is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. at Memorial Coliseum.
Burnley manager Sean Dyche has indicated that he expects Burnley to break their transfer record during the summer window transfer.Burnley are yet to make a first-team signing this summer even as they finished seventh place in the Premier League last season and earned a spot in the Europa League.Dyche, on the other hand, has suggested that he is prepared to spend a huge amount before the start of the new campaign, but only such amount will only be for the right players.Dyche is quoted by the Lancashire Telegraph via Sports Mole as saying:Match Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“There’s a strong chance, just by the fact that clubs now act as agents.“It’s the irony of football that clubs question agents, but if you put a bid in for someone as if by magic, it’s out on the wires within seconds. That’s the nature of the game.“We definitely need more numbers, we’re not deep in numbers, we know that. We want quality numbers, we don’t just want any old player who can fill a slot, we want players who can be competitive.”Burnley’s current record stands at £15m, which the club paid Leeds United for Chris Wood last summer.