Note ban a big scam: Mamata

first_imgWest Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee launched a fresh attack on the Centre, terming demonetisation a big scam and said November 8 will be observed as kaala dibas (black day) to protest the unparalleled damage caused to country. She also dubbed the BJP-led Union government’s move a “draconian decision.” “The ill famed #Noteban November 8 is approaching. Demonetisation is a big scam. If through investigation is conducted, this will be proved,” Ms Banerjee said said in a Facebook post on Tuesday. She also refuted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s claim that demonetisation is aimed at curbing black money and alleged that the real intention was to convert black money into white money. She further alleged that no black money has been recovered from foreign accounts so far.“No black money could yet be brought out from the foreign accounts. In all practical sense, it yielded big, big zero,” said Ms.Banerjee. She further alleged that demonetisation also failed to curb terrorism or boost development.Describing demonetisation as a “devil act,” she alleged that due to it the country has already suffered a loss of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) worth ₹3 lakh crore. “Crores of workers, particularly in the informal sector, lost their jobs. Farmers were left to starve. Over 100 people lost their lives,” said Ms. Banerjee.“More than 75,000 industrialists were compelled to leave India and settle abroad and become NRI because of harassment in the prevailing situation,” the Chief Minister alleged.Speaking to The Hindu senior TMC leader and State’s State’s Food and Supplies Minister, Jyotipriya Mallick said on Wednesday his party will hold “about 25,000 protest demonstrations including rallies and meeting across the State.”last_img read more

NBA: Cavs’ Irving irked being included in off-season George, Butler trade talks—report

first_imgTanduay keeps outright semis hopes alive, routs AMA for 4th straight Despite recently falling short against the Golden State Warriors in the 2017 NBA Finals, the 25-year-old Duke product was seemingly in good terms with the team and its management, particularly with superstar LeBron James.However, ESPN recently reported several reasons why Irving reportedly wanted to be shipped out of the franchise he has called his home for the past six seasons.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsHigh on the list was his supposed inclusion in potential trade talks involving this season’s prized free agents Jimmy Butler and Paul George.“What followed was a whirlwind, with the Cavs putting forth a series of trade packages looking to acquire either Butler or George,” the sports news outlet said. “Some of these talks included Irving, which upset him even more when he found out about it, sources said. Previously, [former Cleveland GM David] Griffin had worked to keep lines of communication with Irving open, but now Irving was in the dark.” Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet MOST READ Butler, of course, went on to join his former coach Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota, while Hayward elected to sign with Boston Celtics.ESPN’s trio of journalists—Ramona Shelburne, Dave McMenamin and Brian Windhorst—also suggested that Irving was fed up with playing second fiddle to the league’s premier superstar, James.They cited James’ tendency to play point guard and dominate the ball, leaving Irving’s ball handling and play-making skills underutilized.Despite his supposed unhappiness with his role, Irving averaged a career best of 25.9 points this season and led his team in total shot attempts.  Khristian Ibarrola /raADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelocenter_img Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Kyrie Irving #2 of the Cleveland Cavaliers  GREGORY SHAMUS/Getty Images/AFPNews of Kyrie Irving wanting out of the Cleveland Cavaliers organization has certainly caught NBA fans off guard over the weekend.READ: Cavs star Kyrie Irving reportedly requests tradeADVERTISEMENT FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ View comments Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Russians laud Venezuelas asylum offer to Snowden

first_imgMOSCOW — Venezuela’s offer of asylum for NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden got a thumbs up from key members of the Russian parliament Saturday, even as the Kremlin and Foreign Ministry kept a studious silence.“Sanctuary for Snowden in Venezuela would be the best decision,” Alexei Pushkov, head of the foreign affairs committee of Russia’s lower house of parliament, wrote in a tweet Saturday.Pushkov, who reliably reflects the government’s position on international issues, voiced what appears to be a growing official desire to see Snowden leave after 13 days holed up in transit limbo at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport. He wrote of Snowden, “He can’t live at Sheremetyevo.”Another parliamentary deputy and member of Pushkov’s committee, Alexander Babakov, told the Russian News Service on Saturday that he thinks the offer of asylum Friday from Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro was Snowden’s best recourse.“Given that Snowden’s U.S. passport was revoked and that he has no particular alternative, the proposal, especially coming from the mouth of the head of state, is sure to be accepted,” he said.Pushkov also argued that asylum would not cost Venezuela, because the country is already in an acute conflict with the United States. “It can’t get worse,” he wrote.The central question, though, is how Snowden might get to Venezuela. Until now, Russia has been saying he cannot fly out without proper documents, following the revocation of his U.S. passport. On Saturday, a lieutenant colonel in the FSB reserve, Anatoly Yermolin, told the radio station Ekho Moskvy that Russia could grant Snowden status as a “stateless person,” and that would allow him to leave without further complications.But a more difficult question is: by what route? Direct commercial flights from Moscow to Havana cross European airspace, and after the refusal of France, Italy and Spain to allow an overflight Tuesday by Bolivian President Evo Morales, that route would seem to be problematic for Snowden. He might have to rely on a private plane, following a roundabout course, if he were to reach Caracas.Maduro said he was offering asylum so that the former National Security Agency contractor could live “free of imperial North American persecution.”Venezuela is the first country to offer sanctuary to Snowden. On Saturday, Morales said that Bolivia is also willing to give him asylum.The 30-year-old computer whiz has reportedly requested asylum from more than 20 countries.Forero reported from Bogota, Colombia. Washington Post correspondent Emilia Diaz in Caracas, Venezuela, contributed to this report.© 2013, The Washington Post Facebook Comments Related posts:European Parliament wants Snowden, NSA chief to testify on spying ¡Bienvenido, Señor Snowden! Bolivia threatens U.S. Embassy closing after Snowden search Putin says Snowden in Moscow as Russia rejects U.S. demandslast_img read more

BT is preparing to roll out an FTTPondemand serv

first_imgBT is preparing to roll out an FTTP-on-demand service following the completion of trials.The telco’s solution enables additional fibre to be run on -demand to a home or business in a fibre-to-the-cabinet-enabled area, providing the customer with fast Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) broadband. The solution takes advantage of fibre that has already been deployed between the exchange and the street cabinet. BT said it had successfully trialed the service in an area of Cornwall. The telco said FTTP, which will soon offer speeds of up to 300Mbps, could be made available anywhere in BT’s fibre footprint where a customer requires it. BT will conduct further trials of FTTP-on-demand this summer with a view to making the service commercially available to by spring 2013.BT also said it would introduce a new faster variant of FTTC broadband this spring. The service will deliver speeds that are approximately double those on offer today, meaning downstream speeds will be up to 80Mbps rather than up to 40Mbps.Openreach chief executive Olivia Garfield said: “FTTP on demand is a significant development for Broadband Britain. Essentially, it could make our fastest speeds available wherever we deploy fibre. This will be welcome news for small businesses who may wish to benefit from the competitive advantage that such speeds provide.”last_img read more