NOW ALL GARTH BROOKS CONCERTS COULD BE CANCELLED

first_imgThousands of Donegal fans may not now get to see Garth Brooks.THE promoters behind Garth Brooks’ Croke Park concerts says all five could now be cancelled – after two were pulled by Dublin City Council earlier today.Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions told RTE that he was very disappointed the council turned down licenses for concerts on July 28 and 29.The council did give the go-ahead for three other gigs on July 25, 26 and 27. Mr Aiken told RTÉ News that the singer was “devastated” by the decision.The singer, said Mr Aiken, was upset that 160,000 fans would not now be able to see his shows on the cancelled dates.Many Donegal fans of the star queued for days to get tickets.He said that the Croke Park performances had grown from an initial two shows to a much bigger customised production, which would be a “once-off event” that would not be replicated anywhere else in the world. The production costs were scaled on this basis and it was not possible to simply stop two of the shows, he said.He said Aiken Promotions had been in daily contact with the council since the earliest stages of planning the concerts and it had never been indicated at any point that there was going to be a problem staging five shows.Already there have been numerous offers of alternative venues but the Aviva has already been ruled out.It’s thought all five shows will be either cancelled – or moved en bloc to a new venue.But accommodating 80,000 people at each gig will be impossible, with Slane already also ruled out. NOW ALL GARTH BROOKS CONCERTS COULD BE CANCELLED was last modified: July 3rd, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:cancelledCroke ParkGarth Brookslast_img read more

Wilson family building on a heritage of conservation

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Nathan Wilson has been working on the farm since he was first able to drive a Ford 8N back in the 1940s.“I grew up with the opportunity to farm because my dad was busy and we had 130 acres and a Ford 8N. He hired some help but there was always something for me to do. I think I drove that tractor before I started school. Back then there were always jobs to do for a little kid on a Ford 8N. I was disking when I was 7 or 8. I had an early start and always loved it,” Nathan said. “My dad was always interested in the soil. When dad got out of the service he started a large animal vet clinic in Circleville and bought a farm. The first thing he did was divide the farm into four fields with a four-year rotation of corn, wheat and two years of hay. We would do moldboard for corn and disk it for wheat and then plant the orchardgrass with a drill and broadcast clover.”With his early start, Nathan also had some early lessons in soil quality and conservation on the Pickaway County farm.“Our soil was very good, mellow and soft. It is Kokomo and Miami with some Crosby and we found out that can get hard. Dad decided wheat wasn’t a good moneymaker and he planted corn in wide rows 60 inches to get light down in the canopy and we pulled a modified drill at the last cultivation when the corn was knee high and planted the hay crop in the rows, mostly orchardgrass. The corn yields weren’t any good with that. He’d plant two years of corn and do that on the second year so it would be two years of corn and two of hay with no wheat in the middle,” Nathan said. “In one year of tillage after we dropped the wheat from the rotation we went through with the second cultivator and we had to put weight on because it was just skimming the surface. Dad was disgusted. It was a realization for both of us that things were different. It was the second year of tillage before corn. That would have been in the 1950s.”Wilson took over the farm after his father died, feeding livestock and using the manure for fertility and continuing to farm the land. He was interested as more work was being done on no-till and he started experimenting with tillage reduction in the 1970s.“When I started farming, we moldboard plowed everything. We tried some reduced tillage without a whole lot of success at first. I started no-tilling in the 1970s. The biggest promoter of no-till for me was the John Deere MaxEmerge planter because of the way it worked. Before they had the gauge wheel behind the seed opener and they had a packer wheel back there to close the furrow and control the depth. The new planter got good ground penetration and depth control. The change that made it work was the MaxEmerge system that put the gauge wheels for depth control beside the seed disks,” Nathan said. “In 1974 Deere released the 7000 and 7100 MaxEmerge planters and that was around when I started trying some no-till. I was reluctant to do the whole acreage. We always thought we had to plow the darker soils with more residue. When we started we were doing double-crop soybeans and we’d no-till those. That gave us confidence to do more because it worked so well. If you till soybeans, they are tricky and to me it is easier to get a good stand in no-till than it ever was with tillage.”Nathan gradually, but steadily, reduced tillage over the next decade.“In 1983 they had something called the Payment-In-Kind, PIK, program. That was a government set aside program and we didn’t plant crops on 600 acres. We just had to control the weeds. After the program we planted that 600 acres. We had to mow it and the next year we went in and planted without tilling. In 1987 we were still plowing our heavy ground with corn stalks and that is pretty much when we quit tilling. I have a good bit of ground that has not been plowed since ‘83 except in extreme circumstances where we put in tile,” Nathan said. “Then in ‘87 my uncle retired and rented his land to me and that increased our acreage and the no-till allowed us to just use the equipment we had and that saved us a lot of money. It still does.”Nathan Wilson and his sons were named the 2017 Outstanding No-Till Farmers at the Ohio No-Till Conference in December for their efforts and dedication to soil conservation in a tradition started by a veterinarian and a little boy on a Ford 8N.“Dad was willing to try anything. We tried just about anything that would come along. Veterinarian was his profession but he really liked the farming too,” Nathan said. “The no-till to me is so important. We don’t get the runoff and don’t lose the soil. It is a good system. It saves money on investment into the crop and it works. And the cover crop is not easy. You have to get it planted and in the spring it makes more timing challenges. It also adds expense, but we think it is worth the expense. This saves money and it is better for the soil, but we farm this way because this is the way we want to do it.”last_img read more

3 Reasons Your Dream Client Won’t Give You an Appointment

first_imgSales people often make these same three mistakes when cold calling and prevent themselves from earning an appointment with their dream client.To learn more, download my ebook, “How to Crush It, Kill It, and Master Cold Calling Now!” at https://thesalesblog.com/resources/ .last_img

HC raps police for ‘brutality’ in tempo incident

first_imgVideo clips of policemen dragging and assaulting a 15-year-old boy and his father, a tempo driver, in broad daylight in north-west Delhi’s Mukherjee Nagar drew the ire of the Delhi High Court, which described them as evidence of “police brutality”.“Why was the boy dragged along the street in broad daylight,” asked a Bench of Justices Jayant Nath and Najmi Waziri after watching video footage of the Sunday incident, which has since snowballed into a political issue.“How can you [Delhi police counsel] standing for the State justify the action of the five police officers who ran after a 15-year-old boy who had been trying to take his father away,” the Bench asked.“If this is not evidence of police brutality then what more do you need? This is a case of extensive disquiet in society. How can any uniformed force do this? This would scare the citizens,” the Bench added. Independent report The court also called for an independent report on the incident from an officer of the rank of Joint Commissioner of Police within a week.The Delhi police’s counsel submitted that cross FIRs have been lodged on the complaints of the two sides and the case transferred to the Crime Branch for a detailed investigation. The counsel further said that three officers involved in the incident have been suspended. To this, the Bench said, “There are eight to nine police personnel who can be clearly seen [in the videos]… Identify the five officers who dragged the boy along the street, all the while pelting him with sticks, and those who assaulted the father.”The High Court also issued notices to the police, the Centre and the city government on a petition filed in public interest seeking a CBI probe into the incident. It posted the matter for further hearing on July 2.One of the petitioners, advocate Seema Singhal, has sought framing of appropriate guidelines for police reforms to prevent such “violent acts of police brutality and excessive force”.“A service gun was pointed towards the minor boy by these policemen threatening him with dire consequences,” her petition stated, adding that “the atrocities committed by the police amount to violation of Section 4 of the Model Code of Conduct for the police”.last_img read more

Rustam-e-Hind looked out for India’s wrestlers

first_imgThursday was observed as a day of mourning at Delhi’s Chhatrasal Stadium to pay tribute to the man who brought the sport of wrestling to the centrestage.A father-figure to wrestlers, Singh regularly visited dangals and was an inspiration for the youngsters.”I can vividly recall my first meeting with him right after the 1972 Olympics. I was so impressed. The way he had maintained his body was inspiring for youngsters like us,” Satpal Singh, who won the gold medal at the 1982 Asian Games, reminisced.Dara Singh was ecstatic when Sushil Kumar won bronze at the Beijing Olympics and gold at the World Championship. “He told Sushil that he should perform the same way in London and return with a medal,” Satpal said.Dara learnt the sport in the mud dangals of his village. He then turned to professional wrestling, emerging as a force to be reckoned with in the 50s and 60s.The legend of Singh grew as he fought over 500 professional bouts, all undefeated, and competed against established international wrestlers such as King Kong (Australia) and John Desilva (New Zealand). In 1954, he won the title of Rustam-E-Hind.Mumbai-based wrestling coach Jagmal Singh, remembers how Dara always made time for bouts. “Whether it was Maharashtra Kesri or other important bouts, he would readily agree to be the chief guest.”He even agreed to be the referee in the Bharat Kesri championship when Changdi Ram won the title in 1968 and later when Satpal took home the crown in 1976. “We hope the boys return with a medal from the Olympics. It will be a fitting tribute to him,” Satpal said.advertisementlast_img read more