WILLIS, Texas – Gator Motorplex honors one of its own this weekend at the second annual Kent Lewis Sr. Classic.The veteran driver will be among the Southern United Sprint Series drivers running in the $1,000 to win, minimum $325 to start non-winged event on Saturday, June 6.Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modifieds are also on the card with the IMCA Eagle Motorsports RaceSaver Sprints, along with Lone Star 600 Sprint Cars, limited modifieds, stock cars and pure stocks.There is no entry fee.Spectator admission is $15 for adults and $10 for kids. Pit passes are $35 for adults and $25 for kids.Racing starts at 7 p.m. Saturday. More information is available at the www.gatormotorplex.net website.
Bellshill could face up to 11 rivals as he looks to make it two from two over obstacles in Sunday’s Navan Novice Hurdle. Winner of the Champion Bumper at last season’s Punchestown Festival, the Willie Mullins-trained five-year-old made an impressive start to his career over hurdles at Cork last month and is set to test the water at Grade Two level this weekend. Mullins has also entered Bleu Et Rouge, also a maiden hurdle winner on the same Cork card, as well as Gowran scorer Stone Hard. Other contenders include the Noel Meade-trained Disko, Christy Roche’s Naas winner Chesterfieldavenue and Gordon Elliott’s trio Cogryhill, Jetstream Jack and Tycoon Prince. Mullins’ dual bumper winner Balko Des Flos is one of a host of interesting entries in the Irish Stallion Owners European Breeders Fund Maiden Hurdle. The champion trainer’s Tell Us More could make his debut over fences in the Irish Stallion Farms European Breeders Fund Beginners Chase, a race that also features the high-class Fine Article from Paul Nolan’s yard. The ‘Future Champions’ INH Flat Race is a fascinating finale, with Dermot Weld’s Don’t Tell No One and Jessica Harrington’s stunning Punchestown winner Our Duke among the possibles. Press Association
By John BurtonAs far as real estate is concerned in these post-Sandy days, it appears to be a waiting game for buyers, sellers and those brokering deals in communities still rebounding.“People are up in the air,” said James Giannell, president of New Markets Realty in Red Bank, about buying or selling in towns hit by the late October storm – and in other communities that may not have experienced as much destruction.Giannell referred to the industry’s Multiple Listing Service, which shows since Nov. 1 in Sea Bright – one of the communities hardest hit by the storm – just two homes and two condominiums are under contract. One condo has closed during that time frame. Highlands has 10 properties under contract and has had 13 closings; and Monmouth Beach, surprising to Giannell, has had 24 closings since Nov. 1 and another eight properties are under contract with most being sales of condos.If not for the storm, the numbers would be considered relatively low for that time frame, given the overall recovering real estate market and continuing low-interest rates, Giannell said.“We are seeing some panic selling” on the part of homeowners, said Carolynn Ozar-Diakon, owner and broker of Resources Real Estate. “There are sellers out there, selling-wise who do not have the resources to do anything else.”But for the most part, “potential sellers are taking a wait-and-see attitude to determine what they’re going to do – to redo their homes or sell their house,” Ozar-Diakon said. “It’s a bit of a waiting game.”Ozar-Diakon, whose Monmouth Beach office was destroyed by the storm and has since been rebuilt, agreed with others who said the delay is largely because the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has not yet completed its official flood maps and building elevation requirements for property owners to qualify for federally underwritten flood insurance.State Department of Environmental Commissioner Bob Martin said this week that FEMA’s Advisory Based Flood Elevation Maps will likely be finalized by late summer. Those standards will “provide consistency and predictability for residents doing rebuilding and protect lives and property” in case of another storm, Martin said.The commissioner recommended that people wait until that information is released before raising their structures.Owners are delaying any action because many continue to wait for insurance payments before making any decisions, area Realtors said.“You really have to wait because FEMA and the insurance companies are going to be the ones to set the rules,” Giannell said.“For sure they’ll be fewer summer rentals available in the Monmouth/Ocean area,” said Peter Reinhart, director of the Kislak Real Estate Institute at Monmouth University, West Long Branch.“My feeling is that people who would traditionally be booking their summer rentals are waiting,” he said. Those bookings are down, “because of the uncertainty,” of what the Shore will look like this summer, he said.“Uncertainty is paralyzing the market,” and could begin to affect prices of home sales, Reinhart said. “It’ll be resolved but certainly not by the summer.“I think for some people, they won’t have a choice, they’ll have to sell,” Reinhart said.But prices, by and large continue to remain constant, Ozar-Diakon said. “I’m not seeing a lot of price dipping to sell it fast,” with the exception of some owners who find themselves in a financial bind.For those looking for a home on the shore as a vacation home or as an investment, now could be a good time to buy, she said.Ozar-Diakon noted she has been seeing people of means, whose homes were substantially damaged, who have bought another home in the interim while theirs’ is being repaired. “It is creating real opportunities for people fortunate enough to buy another home to live in while they’re deciding what they’re going to do,” she said.“If you have cash, it’ll be a good opportunity for someone who always wanted a shore home,” Reinhart said. “This could be the time.”Toni Pecoraro, owner and broker for Century 21 Real Estate Homes of Distinction in Sea Bright said, “Agents are showing, people are looking.”There hasn’t been much of signing on dotted lines yet, as Sea Bright continues to rebound from the storm, said Pecoraro, who only recently was able to reopen her Ocean Avenue office. “But they’re interested, they drive by,” believing things will become more active on the real estate front when the warm weather gets here.“Once it’s all cleaned up and it’s the summer, they’ll forget all about the storm,” she said of tourists and potential buyers.Ozar-Diakon said her office now is seeing a lot of people coming in with questions, wanting to know what the future may hold and what FEMA will require. She said she and her staff have been painstakingly detailing information from FEMA to disseminate to those inquiring.“Ultimately, people have short memories when it comes to living close to the shore,” and will continue to want to live here, she said.
29 August 2012 A smaller proportion of South Africans were living at the bottom of the living standards rung in 2011 compared to 10 years ago, according to research released on Tuesday. “The improvement can be attributed in part to the increase in the number of people receiving social payments, such as old-age pensions and the child support grant,” said researcher at the South African Institute of Race Relations, Georgina Alexander. In 2001, some 11% of South Africans fell into the category with the lowest living standards. This had improved to 1% in 2011. “In the same period, the proportion of people with the highest living standards increased from 5% to 6%,” Alexander said. The trends are captured via the Living Standards Measures (LSMs), a marketing tool designed by the South African Advertising Research Foundation. LSM 1 is the poorest category and LSM 10 the highest. In 2001, the greatest proportion of adults – 14% – were classified as being in LSM 3. This proportion dropped to 6% in 2011. Last year, the greatest proportion of adults were grouped in LSM 6 – at 22%. “Over the last decade there has been a general migration from the bottom three (1-3) to the middle four (4-7) LSMs, showing a general increase in living standards,” Alexander said. Government social grants had helped. The number of recipients of the child grant increased by 1 200% between 2001 and 2010/11. In 2001, around 8% of South Africans were beneficiaries of grants. This increased to 29% in 2010/11 and accounted for 10% of government expenditure. According to the Race Relations Institute, LSMs cut across race, sex, age and other variables to categorise people according to their living standards. People are grouped according to objective criteria, such as whether they are urbanised, own motor vehicles or major appliances, or have running water or a flush toilet in or outside the house. Income is not used to determine a person’s LSM. Sapa
zoomImage Courtesy: Euronav Belgium-based tanker shipping company Euronav has selected Ecochlor ballast water management systems (BWMS) for seven of its Suezmax and VLCC vessels. Under the agreement, Euronav has an option to purchase an additional 30 Ecochlor systems for its tankers between 2020 and 2024.Three of the Euronav ships to be retrofitted with the Ecochlor BWMS have flow rates at 8,000 m3/hr but will still require one treatment system. This option offered Euronav an efficient means to install and then treat ballast water onboard the company’s vessels, according to the BWMS manufacturer.“We are pleased to work alongside Euronav to protect our oceans, in addition to providing them with a safe and effective alternative in ballast water treatment,” Steve Candito, Ecochlor’s CEO, commented.“During a seven-month process for selecting a BWMS provider, along with engineering consultants, we concluded that the Ecochlor system concentrates the elements that we believe will provide a reliable, straight forward solution for complying with regulations,” Zois Dagkaris, Procurement & Logistics Manager at Euronav, said.“The fact that the Ecochlor Service Technicians will be on board our vessels approximately two times per year handling chemical resupply and their availability to provide preventative maintenance and supplemental crew training is considered a plus for ensuring proper functionality of the system and close follow up,” he added.“This is all in support of the Euronav commitment to keeping our ships in compliance with BWM regulations today and into the future for a sustainable ocean environment.”Euronav currently operates a fleet of 72 vessels comprising tankers and FSO units, according to the company’s website.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi asked BJP MPs on Sunday to shun any negativity and work with a positive mindset so as to win over even those who did not vote for the party.In his address at the concluding session of the two-day training programme for over 380 party lawmakers, he also referred to the next Lok Sabha election, scheduled for 2024, and told them to nurse their constituencies in a way that they can retain them on the strength of their work and conduct, sources said. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’He cited his own clean record to urge the members of Parliament to keep their personal and professional conduct above board, according to MPs who attended the meeting. The prime minister asked the MPs to give ample time to their families but shun “parivarvaad” (dynasty politics), they said. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pralhad Joshi told reporters that Modi asked MPs to not entertain negative thoughts about their rivals or those who did not vote for them. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KHe asked them to work and conduct themselves in such a way that even those who did not vote for them are won over. “You should work for everybody’s welfare. You should be positive and shun any negative thoughts about those who did not vote for the party. Looking at your work and conduct, they will get closer to you,” he quoted Modi as saying. The prime minister asked the MPs to focus on people’s participation and pro-people policies, while overlooking politics, in the interest of their constituencies and the nation, Joshi said. A BJP MP said Modi spoke like a “guardian” and touched on issues related to political, ideological as well as personal aspects of their lives. Turning his attention to the next Lok Sabha polls, he asked MPs to identify booths where they did not fare well and work to strengthen their presence there. His speech, the sources said, also focused on proper conduct by MPs, and Modi in this context mentioned his own long tenure in government, earlier as Gujarat chief minister and now as prime minister. He asked the MPs to stand in queues with public and speak appropriately. Modi chose to sit among the MPs in one of the back rows during the meeting. BJP vice president Vinay Sahasrabuddhe conducted a session on self-development for the lawmakers while Defence Minister Rajnath Singh spoke on the party’s contribution to the country. A book titled “Sanskritik rashtravad ke shilpi” (Architects of cultural nationalism), a collection of BJP president Amit Shah’s speeches on personalities ranging from Chanakya to party founder Syama Prasad Mookerjee, was also released. Shah, who is the Union Home Minister, did not attend the meeting as he remained busy with official work related to Jammu and Kashmir, the sources said.
Here’s the chance for two lucky individuals to win the chance to build a Habitat For Humanity home with world-renowned construction and real estate experts Jonathan and Drew Scott in Nashville, Tennessee.Those who wish to enter the drawing will have the once in a lifetime opportunity to bring one guest to meet Jonathan and Drew Scott in Nashville and make an impact in someone’s life. Winners and their guests will fly free to Nashville, and will be able to begin construction on two new homes for one busy build day on April 2, working alongside the homebuyers and other Habitat volunteers.Participants can enter to win at www.habitat.org/ScottBrothers. Winners will be announced March 5, 2018.
OTTAWA – The federal government is giving U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin the first crack at inking a contract to design Canada’s $60-billion fleet of new warships.Government officials say Lockheed’s proposed design beat out two rival submissions during what has been a long and extremely sensitive competition to design the replacements for the navy’s entire frigate and destroyer fleets.However, that doesn’t mean Lockheed executives will be popping champagne, as negotiators for both sides will now have to sit down and iron out details including the final cost before an actual contract is awarded.The stakes will be high for both sides, with hundreds of millions of dollars in play as well as pressure to make up for lost time even though whatever decisions are taken could have ramifications for the navy and taxpayers for decades.The government has reserved the right to walk away from the talks, if Lockheed drives too hard a bargain, and negotiate with the second-place bidder, which the government did not identify, though officials are hoping that won’t be necessary and a contract will be signed this winter.The warships are to be built starting in the early 2020s by Halifax-based Irving Shipbuilding, which worked with the government in identifying Lockheed as the preferred bidder and will also participate in the pending negotiations.
CALGARY, A.B. – Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says he shares Albertan’s “frustration” at billions of dollars being lost to the Canadian economy due to oil price discounts linked to export pipeline capacity constraints.But he says Ottawa is focused on finding long-term solutions by getting approval for new export pipelines such as the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project it bought in August and by pursuing Bill C-69 to reform the National Energy Board.Following a speech at an Energy Council of Canada forum in downtown Calgary, Sohi told reporters the key to building pipelines is building trust in regulatory processes and engaging affected parties early on so that approvals aren’t overturned, as was the case with Trans Mountain. The judge that overturned that project’s NEB approval cited a lack of meaningful consultations with Indigenous people and failure to consider marine environmental impacts.An NEB reconsideration of the identified issues is expected to conclude by February but Sohi said he won’t put a deadline on new Indigenous consultations now underway.Asked about an Alberta request in October for the federal government to support crude-by-rail shipments, Sohi said the Alberta request is being examined by his department but he hasn’t actuallyseen it.“My administration has been engaging with the province of Alberta, their officials and the officials from other provinces to explore options, options that can work, options that are practical to implement and options that will actually give us the ability to transport Alberta resources in a way that needs to be done,” he said.“Those are short-term solutions but the long-term solution ismaking sure pipeline capacity is expanded.”Asked then what options are being considered, he said: “I don’t know what those options are. Officials are engaging with the provincial officials.”
NEW DELHI: Amid the continuing “flip-flop” over the tie-up for the Lok Sabha polls, the AAP on Sunday said the prospects of its alliance with the Congress are almost finished.The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has “refused” to form an alliance with the Congress in Delhi alone. While the AAP is also keen on a pre-poll alliance in Haryana, which will vote on May 12, the Congress is only willing to discuss a tie-up in Delhi. With both the parties sticking to their demands, the alliance issue in Delhi is in a limbo. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDelhi Unit Convenor Gopal Rai said they agreed to all seat sharing arrangements that the Congress proposed, but even after that Congress backtracked. Rai accused the Congress of “wasting” AAP’s time over the tie-up in Delhi, Haryana and Chandigarh. Rai said the Congress was giving an impression that the AAP refused to form an alliance. “But the fact is whichever seat sharing formula the Congress proposed we agreed to it in Haryana, Delhi and Chandigarh and even then they backtracked,” he said. Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingsRai also announced that Delhi Chief Minister and AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal would participate in two mega roadshows in Haryana. “After discussions with our alliance partner in Haryana, the JJP, we agreed to it, but the Congress refused and said they can’t give more than two seats to the JJP and proposed 7:2:1 formula,” said Sanjay Singh, who was negotiating with the Congress. Delhi’s seven parliamentary constituencies, which go to the polls on May 12 in the sixth phase, voted for the BJP in 2014, leaving the AAP in the second spot. However, the vote share of AAP and Congress in that election, together, was more than that of the BJP in six of the seven seats –despite the Modi wave.