Commentary Tressel stands tall against NCAA critics attacking his credibility

Inside and outside of Columbus, there is a crusade-like movement to put an end to the Jim Tressel era at Ohio State. Like King Leonidas in the movie “300,” I’ll lead the charge of the outmanned against the mass of millions who want to take out the OSU football coach. This much is clear already: Tressel is not going to step down neither because of withholding information from the NCAA nor because of any punishment levied against him. If anything, he’s now entrenching himself even deeper as an OSU football coach by refusing to step down while simultaneously increasing the pressure on the administration to fire him. Fortunately for him, athletic director Gene Smith and university President E. Gordon Gee gave him their full support during their press conference March 8. Imagine banning OSU from the inaugural Big Ten Championship Game and a bowl game. Can the NCAA bring itself to do it? So far, the only hit the program as a whole has taken is its reputation in the media. And the media onslaught isn’t forgiving toward Tressel. Sports Illustrated’s Stewart Mandel wrote Monday: “Tressel’s tenure at Ohio State is numbered. It may even be over before the end of the calendar year.” This isn’t really a fresh take. It should have been evident since the original story came out that Tressel intentionally misled investigators in an effort to protect his players and their eligibility. If you didn’t believe he should have been fired a month ago, there’s no reason why Monday’s findings should change your mind. Nor should it increase the likelihood that he gets fired. He did violate his contract, and that is a fireable offense by the terms of his agreement with the university. It’s hard to say that’s honorable. Yet, in defiantly standing against the NCAA, he is honorable. Tressel had the option of sending a dagger into the dreams of a potential national championship season last year. Instead, he’s now daring the NCAA to slam the Buckeye football program. Is he putting the program in jeopardy? Not at all, considering the NCAA’s tendencies. If it proves to be as gutless as it usually is in handing out punishments, then the only one who should — and probably will — get hit hard is Tressel himself. Some media members are speculating that a bowl ban is a potential penalty. That would equate this situation to USC, which received a two-year bowl ban after former running back Reggie Bush received improper benefits. If OSU compliance has been as up-front about the situation as it leads on, there is no lack of institutional control here, unlike at USC. OSU athletics is a sacred cow and a huge moneymaker for the NCAA. With the slew of victories and Big Ten titles under Tressel’s watch, that hit isn’t even enough to make a dent to the people who matter most: potential recruits and current players. To them, Tressel’s legacy and the program’s reputation are as sterling as ever. I know Leonidas and his soldiers meet death in the end, but Tressel will survive this NCAA onslaught. read more

Urban Meyer Hard to say Etienne Sabinos not my favorite player

As a product of Miami, Fla., linebacker Etienne Sabino said he was not familiar with Ohio State. Now in his redshirt senior season, Sabino is starting for the Buckeyes. He’s one of first-year coach Urban Meyer’s favorite players. In OSU’s 17-16 victory against Michigan State on Saturday in East Lansing, Mich., Meyer said Sabino had “a hell of a game.” Sabino, who recorded eight total tackles, one pass breakup, two quarterback hurries, one tackle for loss, and one sack against the Spartans, was named defensive player of the game by Meyer during the coach’s weekly Monday press conference. Meyer wasn’t the only one who took note of the captain’s play. “(Sabino) played exceptionally well to me. He made a lot of good plays,” said redshirt junior defensive back Corey Brown. Notably, the linebacker’s sack came at the end of the third quarter and during a crucial time in the game. After the Buckeyes’ offense scored a touchdown to take a 17-13 lead against MSU, it seemed that OSU had not only seized the game’s lead, but also its momentum. Looking to respond, the Spartans returned the ensuing kickoff to their 31-yard line and drove the ball to the 50-yard line. The Spartans offense stalled, though after an incomplete pass from redshirt junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell and short run by junior running back Le`Veon Bell. Facing a 3rd-and-7, Maxwell dropped back to pass before Sabino burst into the backfield and brought down the Spartan quarterback for a 7-yard loss. The play forced MSU to punt and kept the momentum on the side of the Buckeyes. “I just want to give all the credit to the people around me,” Sabino said. “I think our defensive line did a great job making my job easy and the back end did a great job covering allowing us to get pressure. I think it was a good defensive effort.” Meyer said he’s not only impressed with Sabino’s play, but also said he has a different relationship with him compared to other players. “It’s hard for me to say he’s not my favorite player on this team,” Meyer said. “I have conversations with him like I would a coach. I listen to him. I usually don’t listen a lot, and then I listen to him.” Sabino said his relationship with and respect for Meyer helps him be honest with the former Florida Gators coach. “The thing with coach Meyer is honesty … I keep it real with him, he keeps it real with me,” Sabino said. “So I think he respects that and we have that respect for each other.” The Florida native, however, has experienced ups and downs during his career since coming to Columbus in 2008. Sabino arrived with high expectations as the No. 1-overall high school inside linebacker in the country, according to ESPN.com’s recruiting rankings. But during his freshman and sophomore years, he never started a game and only made six tackles and one sack. In 2010, he sat out for the season and redshirted after losing a position battle to former OSU linebacker Andrew Sweat. Last season, though, Sabino saw time in all 13 of the Buckeyes’ games, collecting 62 total tackles, two sacks and seven tackles for loss. Sabino only started five times for the Buckeyes last year. But this year might be a different story as Sabino has started in all five of OSU’s games under Meyer. “He hasn’t played a lot. I didn’t realize that until I went back and did a study on it,” Meyer said. “He’s been a classic underachiever. Now he’s a leader. He’s a grown man,” As of the Buckeyes’ game against the Spartans, Sabino is second on the team in tackles with 36 total stops and has amassed two sacks, two tackles for loss, one interception and one forced fumble. “Sometimes things don’t pan out as fast as you want them to happen, but it’s not where you start, it’s where you finish. So that’s my motto,” Sabino said.

Sean Dyche wants Burnley to break transfer record

first_imgBurnley manager Sean Dyche has indicated that he expects Burnley to break their transfer record during the summer window transfer.Burnley are yet to make a first-team signing this summer even as they finished seventh place in the Premier League last season and earned a spot in the Europa League.Dyche, on the other hand, has suggested that he is prepared to spend a huge amount before the start of the new campaign, but only such amount will only be for the right players.Dyche is quoted by the Lancashire Telegraph via Sports Mole as saying:Burnley FC v Manchester City - Premier LeagueMatch Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“There’s a strong chance, just by the fact that clubs now act as agents.“It’s the irony of football that clubs question agents, but if you put a bid in for someone as if by magic, it’s out on the wires within seconds. That’s the nature of the game.“We definitely need more numbers, we’re not deep in numbers, we know that. We want quality numbers, we don’t just want any old player who can fill a slot, we want players who can be competitive.”Burnley’s current record stands at £15m, which the club paid Leeds United for Chris Wood last summer.last_img read more

How World Cup flop boosted Sergio Agueros game level

first_imgThere is a very good reason why Sergio Aguero came back from the summer break in what appears to be his best form, it has a lot to do with the World Cup.The last World Cup was a huge disappointment for Argentine striker Sergio Aguero, who was eliminated by France in the round of 16 and now appears to have come back to Manchester City in his best form. The five goals during the first three matches of the season between the Premier League and the Community Shield are more than enough reasons to believe that ‘Kun’ Aguero is coming for everything this season, at least Pep Guardiola seems to think so. The Argentine striker suffered a knee injury before the end of the season that needed him to get through the operating table, Pep Guardiola always sends his players to professional specialist Dr. Ramon Cugat in Barcelona and the results from that whole recovery process are truly amazing. Aguero seems to have returned in an even better form than he was before, the best form of his life according to Guardiola who was very surprised after the striker’s hat-trick against Huddersfield this past Sunday as he expects even more from his top player.It was widely reported by the media that Sergio Aguero never really clicked with Pep Guardiola, the Catalan manager has been known to ax players who he doesn’t believe can follow his instructions and go off script with his tactics. But judging on his latest press conference after that Manchester City match, Pep Guardiola looks really happy with everything that ‘Kun’ is doing at the club and he even stated that he wants the player to retire with the Citizens if he remains on this level for the upcoming years: “Since he came back, I saw him from the first second, from the first minute — wow!” He came back perfect. I think the [knee] surgery from Doctor Cugat [at the end of last season] helped a lot. He feels free now. He suffered the last years with some problems. But it’s not just scoring goals – it’s the space, creating chances, moving, assists, chances, fouls. He never stops. When this happens, he’s one of the best strikers in the world, without a doubt. So what can you say? Chapeau,” said Pep at the press conference after last Sunday’s match.La pelota del hat trick es para Benjamín #FelizDíaDelNiño Te amo hijo! ❤️ pic.twitter.com/fJlvmQKsMq— Sergio Kun Aguero (@aguerosergiokun) August 19, 2018Sergio Aguero’s World Cup heartache.But apart from the obvious level boost he got after that surgery, we are convinced that the most obvious reason why ‘Kun’ looks like he is at the best of his abilities has to do with the poor performance Argentina had in the last World Cup and the fact that he wasn’t able to play as many minutes as he would’ve wanted during the tournament. It almost looks like he counted for the manager in the first match against Iceland, and then the player didn’t deliver as expected for the remains of the tournament. This lack of participation and involvement wasn’t really Aguero’s fault who was in very good form during the competition, it had more to do with Jorge Sampaoli’s lack of understanding of the best system for Argentina. This problem with the national team has been a constant during the last decade, they haven’t been able to play offensive football for many years even when they have one of the most deadly attacking rosters in the world.Blue Carpet #AllOrNothing #mancity pic.twitter.com/H87mLDIZaeHarry Maguire, Manchester UnitedSolskjaer praises Harry Maguire after Man United’s 1-0 win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer singled out Harry Maguire for praise after helping Manchester United keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win over Leicester City.— Sergio Kun Aguero (@aguerosergiokun) August 16, 2018Aguero will take it all out against the Premier League rivals.This frustration that Aguero is suffering after that huge heartbreak for Argentina, is something that is already starting to influence his performances for Manchester City in a positive way, Pep Guardiola is expecting the best version of the striker for the rest of the season and this will only translate into many goals for the Citizens in all competitions. Suddenly that goal-scoring record that Alan Shearer has doesn’t seem as distant as it did before the start of the season, that 146 goal-toll that he has at the start of the tournament seems like it may increase dramatically when May and June come during the final stages of the Premier League season. But what matters the most for both ‘Kun’ and Pep Guardiola, is how much the striker can help out his club in the search for the targeted competition this year: which is the Champions League and will start during mid-September.HIGHLIGHTS… we won’t be forgetting this day anytime soon! #mancity pic.twitter.com/FOOmoQodA5— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 22, 2018How many goals do you think Sergio Aguero will be able to score this season for Manchester City? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.last_img read more

Lopetegui Real Madrid expect a stronger Roma

first_imgReal Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui expects AS Roma to be stronger than they were last season heading into Wednesday’s Champions League clashLos Blancos will begin the defence of their European crown by hosting a Roma side that knocked out fellow Spanish sides Atletico Madrid and Barcelona in last season’s competition.However, the Giallorossi have only won a single Serie A game this term and currently lie in ninth-place in the league table after four games.But Lopetegui is taking nothing for granted ahead of his Champions League debut.“Debuting in the Champions League gives me pride, responsibility and a lot of enthusiasm,” Lopetegui said at a Press conference.“I won’t explain what Real Madrid are for the Champions League and the Champions League is for Madrid.“Roma knocked Atletico out of the Champions League last season and then eliminated Barca.James Rodriguez, Real MadridZidane hails ‘quality’ James Rodriguez after Real Madrid’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane reserved special praise for James Rodriguez after his starring role in Real Madrid’s 3-2 win over Levante.“I expect a better Roma than last season. We expect to face an intense and aggressive team.”Real Madrid are aiming to win the Champions League for a fourth successive season.Although they will have to make do without star man Cristiano Ronaldo and coach Zinedine Zidane.“We’re focused on the players who are still here and we’re all ready to compete on all fronts,” said Lopetegui.“More pressure after three Champions Leagues? Firstly you must take your hat off to Madrid, their squad and Zidane. There is absolute recognition on my part.“Pressure on me? You have to face each competition with ambition and enthusiasm. Pressure always exists at Madrid.”last_img read more

Gracia believes Watford deserved to win

first_imgWatford manager Javi Gracia says they deserved more than a point in their 2-2 draw against Everton at Goodison Park on Monday.Watford were heading to their first win in six matches, but a late Lucas Digne free-kick denied them all three points and left Gracia gutted after the game.“I prefer to speak about the performance of our team. We had a very good performance, we scored two goals and we played much better in the second half,” Gracia told Sky Sports.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“I think today we deserved a better result. As everyone can see, the team is full of confidence and I am proud of all of them.“We can always take positives. For me, it’s most important I can see in training and all our performances that the players have a strong mentality.“I don’t know when it will be but I hope that soon we will be able to get better results.”last_img read more

Colours of concern

first_imgCommemorating the 107th birth anniversary of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, an event was organised in the Capital that honoured some eminent personalities with the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Bravery/Memorial Award for their remarkable contribution to the society. The function was organised by Society for Shaheed Bhagat Singh Help and Care on 27 September at Shah Auditorium. Satish Kaushik was the chief guest for the evening where a cultural-event with the theme Mera Rang de Basanti Chola also featured. Children of different age groups participated in the show.The event also marked the presence of other guests – Asha Devi and Badrinath Singh (Parents of Nirbhaya), Col. Sanjay Sehgal (Snr. Officer, Civil Defence), Michael N George and Uma Shanker (recipient of National Bravery Award) and many others.last_img read more