ALAMEDA — Before they exploded on to the scene as big-time play-makers in 2019, Lamar Jackson and Darren Waller were plying their trade on the service team of the Baltimore Ravens.Jackson, who leads the Ravens (10-2) into a showdown Sunday against the 49ers (11-1) in Baltimore, spent the first nine games of his rookie season as backup to Joe Flacco, getting occasional work as a change-of-pace quarterback. Waller, reinstated after a year’s suspension for violating the NFL policy on substances …
24 January 2011South African President Jacob Zuma has pinned his hopes on this week’s African Union meeting in Ethiopia to defuse the unfolding political crisis in Cote d’Ivoire.Political rivals Laurent Gbagbo and Alassane Ouattara have been at loggerheads since a disputed second-round presidential election in Cote d’Ivoire in November last year, bringing that country to a political standstill.Both the United Nations (UN) and the African Union (AU) have since come out in support of Outtara, who is widely believed to have won the poll. Gbagbo is still clinging to power, however, and maintains control of the country’s army, a number of its state bodies and much of its cocoa sector.According to the UN, the post-election stalemate has so far left around 247 people dead and forced thousands to flee their homes.‘Political solution similar to Sudan’s’Speaking to journalists in Pretoria on Friday, Zuma said he was hoping a solution would be found soon, and called on the AU to discuss the matter with both leaders.“We are hoping that the AU will be able to resolve the matter and convince the parties … Our view is that we need to do something to help the situation, and don’t demand that one leader should go,” Zuma said.He was speaking following a meeting with Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, who was on a two-day state visit to South Africa.Both Zuma and Museveni agreed that a political solution similar to that of South Sudan was needed to bring about political stability in Cote d’Ivoire.Pretoria would further support any recommendation of the AU to prevent any outbreak of violence in resolving the standoff between Gbagbo and Ouattara, Zuma said.Pressure on Gbagbo mountsThe United States, meanwhile, says is working with its African partners to impose sanctions against Gbagbo and his supporters, along with a broadened a travel ban, in the latest bid to pressure him to step down.“At this point, there are travel restrictions and financial restrictions on Gbagbo and his immediate circle of friends and family and those people who allow him to remain in power,” US Assistant Secretary for Africa Bruce Wharton said in Pretoria on Thursday.He was addressing the media on US government policy in Africa and the year ahead.The US has joined other countries and blocs, such as the European Union, which have frozen Gbagbo’s assets.Wharton said the US would continue to increase these pressures, making it more difficult for Gbagbo to remain where he was.“It’s my hope that eventually he will see that the future of Cote d’Ivoire and the people that he claims to serve is best served by his departure,” Wharton said. “And if that can be done peacefully, then Cote d’Ivoire can move on.”Source: BuaNews
You know who loves geocaching? Babies. And puppies. And kids. And Abraham Lincoln. And the whole wide world.See for yourself:[vsw id=”2fDKdMLMvnY” source=”youtube” width=”425″ height=”344″ autoplay=”no”]Now isn’t that cute?Subscribe to the official Geocaching.com YouTubechannel to be one of the first to see new videos about the evolving world of geocaching. Watch the more than 50 videos produced by Geocaching.com on our video page. SharePrint RelatedGeocaching.com Presents: Love StoriesFebruary 14, 2012In “Community”Groundspeak Weekly Newsletter – July 11, 2012July 11, 2012In “Geocaching.com Videos”This is My Hobby: Geocaching & HikingApril 19, 2012In “Community” Share with your Friends:More
Residential solar slow to catch onBluegrass Solar is about eight months old, and if the city of Benham has embraced solar energy with its planned municipal system, Sexton is still trying to get his residential business up to its full potential.“We started trying to focus on residential,” he said, “and we’ve had a lot of interest but not a lot of execution.”Bluegrass joined forces with a partner, Star Solar, and began offering leases and financing and now the company’s focus is on municipal installations. Its alliance with Star Solar has allowed the company to begin offering leasing, financing, and partnership agreements.“That should make it easier for homeowners to get on board,” he said. RELATED ARTICLES A Cloudy Future for CoalCoal Production Hits 35-Year LowWill Taxpayers Get Stuck With Coal’s Cleanup Tab?Can Solar Solve the Coal Problem?‘Clean Coal’ Plant Looks More Like a Boondoggle Sexton told GBA that the project may have raised a few eyebrows in town, but has generally been accepted by city residents.“Everybody sort of smiles and has a little laugh about it,” he told GBA. “But we’ve not been greeted with any animosity or anything. They just get a chuckle out of it. It’s a pretty good headline.”Even though the region has a long history of coal mining, the industry is not as powerful as it once was, Sexton said.“We’re just now kind of getting over that grief and starting to let go,” he said. “It’s certainly still in the roots and everything.”Even in its heyday, he added, coal mined in the area was mostly used in steel production, not coal-burning power plants. “We’re pretty big on metallurgical coal,” he said. “We weren’t really an energy producer anyway.” The exhibits inside are all about the glory days of coal, but it will be the solar panels on the roof that knock as much as $10,000 off the power bills for the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum.Housed in a former International Harvester commissary, the museum features exhibits detailing the history of coal mining in the city of Benham and surrounding parts of Harlan County, a bastion of mining in eastern Kentucky. The museum, which opened in 1994, is owned by Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College.The 60 kW solar array now being installed on the museum’s roof by Bluegrass Solar is part of a 250 kW system that will serve Benham’s municipal power grid. Bluegrass owner Tre Sexton said the project is being underwritten by “assorted philanthropic sources.” The 80-panel array is roughly half complete, Sexton told GBA, and could be wrapped up in another week or so.At a time when renewable energy advocates are squaring off against a president who has pledged to “put our miners back to work,” seeing solar come to the rescue of a coal museum is rich with irony. But money is money, and the college estimates energy bills now average about $2,100 a month, according to USA Today.
We all know of the feats of Australia’s swimming golden girls, we’ve seen the image of Kerryn McCann fighting off the Kenyan runner in the marathon, while our cyclists and shooters are celebrating their most successful Commonwealth Games of all time. But while all of this is taking place in sports-crazy Melbourne, Touch is making the most of the influx of visitors to Victoria’s capital city.As part of the Commonwealth Games festivities, Touch Football Victoria assisted with a one hour Touch exhibition and coaching session last Saturday at the ‘Nestle Peters Beach Games’, just outside Melbourne’s Arts Centre and Concert Hall.In keeping with the Commonwealth Games theme, players who represented Australia and New Zealand in last year’s Victorian Trans Tasman Challenge were on hand to help out.Activities that kids love, such as ‘touchdown chase’, 2 v 1 Shootout, relay skills races and finally a game were enjoyed by the kids and their families who were watching. With enthusiastic volunteers showing off their skills in demonstration games, it was a great way to promote Touch Footy in front of the general sports-loving public of Melbourne, Australia and the world.For TFA Game Development Officer Carly Goodrich, being hooked up to a microphone to run the coaching session, a halftime interview with the ‘Beach Host’, and the live action being displayed on the big screen were some of the highlights for the day.Watching the kids and volunteers diving to score and stop Touchdowns was the centre of most participants’ focus, especially on the soft sandy surface – no pain but plenty of sand to be emptied from clothing for the rest of the day!Touch footy will be back at the Commonwealth Games, on the sand tomorrow (Thursday March 23) for another demonstration and coaching session, from 12.45-1.45pm outside the Melbourne Arts Centre and Concert Hall.So, if you’re in Melbourne for the Games, or know someone else who is, get them to drop in to the event and support the Touch Football Victoria volunteers promoting the sport in Melbourne.
Related Filesgary_sonda_ntl_profile_2007-pdf The 2007 National Touch League is Australia’s most prestigious touch football tournament. In the lead-up to the NTL, Touch Football Australia will be profiling some of the biggest names in the game who will be in action at the showcase event.Today’s featured player under the NTL spotlight is Sydney Mets stalwart Gary Sonda. “GS7” has represented Mets in every National Touch League tournament since its inception in 1997.The dual World Cup champion has been a fixture in the Australian Open Men’s team since 2000 and is one of the most competitive players to have ever laced on a boot.Renowned for his intelligent ball playing ability, never say die attitude, leadership skills, and the occasional well-worded sledge, the Mets maestro is passion personified.A player who hates losing a game of marbles, his commitment to the cause and willingness to pay whatever price is necessary to secure victory for his team is legendary. Loved by teammates, and loathed by the opposition on the field, Sonda makes no apologies for his “playing for keeps” attitude in the heat of the battle.By his own admission, he plays hard on the field, but that is where the competitiveness and aggression stays. In the great tradition of Aussie sporting champions, the crafty middle plays hard but fair, and is always gracious and generous in his praise of opposition teams and players who might get the better of him occasionally.He is always one of the first players to outstretch the hand of friendship and have a drink with an opponent once when battle is done.The long serving champion was all set to take a break from the NTL in 2007, post World Cup, but answered an SOS call from his life-long NTL franchise when several other big names decided to rest from the tournament.The New South Wales Men’s Open Captain is one of the best students of the game and his passion for and knowledge of the sport is amazing.He has endured a hectic playing schedule around NTL for the last three years, playing both the Open Men’s, and then the NTL Senior tournament without missing a beat.He has annexed two NTL Open Men’s titles for Mets in 2002 and 2004, and a hat trick of Men’s 30’s titles from 2004-2006.He has had to build on a room to house the trophies that keep coming his way for his dominant work on the field for his beloved Mets at NTL level.“GS7” took home the Men’s Open Player of the Series in 2002, and has won a hat trick of Men’s 30s Player of the final awards in the Mets three-peat from 2004 – 2006.There have been some absolutely outstanding pieces of individual magic on field One at the Coffs Harbour International Sports Stadium on Finals day in a decade of NTL action, but few present will forget one moment from the 2006 NTL Men’s Open final that will be etched in NTL history forever.Despite his Mets team being on the end of a Drumayne Dayberg Muir and Nathan Jones inspired “Shark attack” in the final, Gary Sonda produced one of those moments that just make you stand and cheer, regardless of where your allegiances are.Under the pump to get a quick pass away, Sonda threw an instinctive no look flick through his legs to give his winger a saloon passage to the line to score a crucial touchdown.His side may have gone down to the rampaging South Queensland Sharks, but few present will ever forget Sonda’s inspired piece of wizardry.Click on the attachment and find out a little more about one of the most durable, hardworking, and talented players to have played the game as we put Gary Sonda under the NTL spotlight.
OTTAWA – Senior clerics from three of the country’s largest religious denominations are asking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for more help for South Sudan.The letter to Trudeau, released today, urges the federal Liberal government to increase aid to the country and to speak out about the food crisis there.It’s signed by Bishop Douglas Crosby, president of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops; Archbishop Fred J. Hiltz, primate of the Anglican Church of Canada; and Rev. Douglas H. Rollwage, moderator of the 2016 general assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.They commend the government on the help the government has already provided to South Sudan, but say more must be done.The bishops want Trudeau to encourage the international community to provide more aid and to help protect human rights in South Sudan.They also want him to work with Canadian businesses at home and abroad, as well as with the international community, to prevent weapons reaching South Sudan.A spokesman for International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says Canada is “one of the leading donors in South Sudan with programs covering humanitarian needs on the ground.”Louis Belanger says Canada recently announced $119 million in humanitarian funding for Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia and has already provided some $37 million for urgent assistance.The bishops say 20 million people face hunger in South Sudan, as well as Yemen, Somalia and Nigeria.South Sudan is also in the throes of a human rights crisis, with atrocities committed by both government and opposition forces, they said.“We are continuing to hear disturbing reports of gross violations of fundamental human rights being carried out with total impunity,” the letter said.
NEW YORK — One of France’s largest banks, Societe Generale, is paying $1.3 billion in penalties for violating U.S. trade sanctions on Cuba.U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman in New York announced the deal Monday.He says it’s the second largest penalty ever imposed on a financial institution for violating U.S. economic sanctions.As part of the deal, prosecutors deferred criminal charges including conspiracy to violate the Trading with the Enemy Act. The charges would be dropped entirely after three years.Authorities say between 2004 and 2010, the bank facilitated the flow of $13 billion through Cuban businesses.The bank says it regrets “shortcomings” identified in the case.Berman says the bank has co-operated and promised to revamp internal controls so it doesn’t happen again.The Associated Press
Members of the OSU women’s volleyball team huddle during a game against Lipscomb on Dec. 5 in Lexington, Ky., during the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament. OSU won, 3-0.Credit: Chris Slack / Lantern photographerLEXINGTON, Ky. — Heading into a match against Lipscomb, Ohio State women’s volleyball coach Geoff Carlston had faced the Bisons once in his tenure at OSU, and won. Now he can say he’s 2-0.The Buckeyes (22-11) swept Lipscomb (25-20, 25-14, 25-18) in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday night, and now have less than a day to prepare for their next opponent.“I thought we played great defense, which we knew we needed to do because they’re such a great defensive team,” Carlston said. “So it was a really good match. Obviously I’m really happy and excited we’re moving on.”In the first two sets alone, the Buckeyes had 16 blocks total, while the Bisons (21-9) had zero. Sophomore middle blocker Taylor Sandbothe totaled for six in those two sets before finishing the night with 10, which is a career-high. Senior setter Taylor Sherwin tallied six total blocks, which was the second highest between the two teams.Freshman outside hitter Luisa Schirmer led all players in kills with 12 and added eight digs. With this being her first NCAA tournament action, she said she was glad her teammates were behind her all the way.“I (felt) full confidence with my team behind me,” Schirmer said. “And I think that’s a great attitude going into our next match.”Senior outside hitter Erin Sekinger tallied 10 kills, which was tied for the second-most kills in the match.Since the Buckeyes played at 5 p.m. on Friday in Lexington, Ky., they have a chance to scout their next potential opponent live.“As a team we’re going to go and watch both teams, see what they do and how they play,” Sekinger said.In addition to her six blocks, Sherwin had a game-high 32 assists on the night and added nine digs, while sophomore libero Valeria León had a game-high 17 digs and had the Buckeyes two lone service aces.With a game-high 25 blocks, the Buckeyes are looking to carry over their defense into Saturday’s game.“I think if we take our style of play that we played tonight into our next match, tomorrow night, I think that will help us and we can build from that,” Sekinger said.Bison senior outside hitter Lauren Ford was the lone Bison to score double-digit kills with 10. Freshman setter Kayla Ostrom assisted on 28 of her teams 31 kills.The Buckeyes are scheduled to play the winner of No. 13 Kentucky and the Horizon League champions Oakland. The match is scheduled to start at 7 p.m. at Memorial Coliseum.
Burnley manager Sean Dyche has indicated that he expects Burnley to break their transfer record during the summer window transfer.Burnley are yet to make a first-team signing this summer even as they finished seventh place in the Premier League last season and earned a spot in the Europa League.Dyche, on the other hand, has suggested that he is prepared to spend a huge amount before the start of the new campaign, but only such amount will only be for the right players.Dyche is quoted by the Lancashire Telegraph via Sports Mole as saying:Match Preview: Burnley vs Liverpool Boro Tanchev – August 30, 2019 Premier League leaders Liverpool travel to Burnley for the Matchday 4 of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign.“There’s a strong chance, just by the fact that clubs now act as agents.“It’s the irony of football that clubs question agents, but if you put a bid in for someone as if by magic, it’s out on the wires within seconds. That’s the nature of the game.“We definitely need more numbers, we’re not deep in numbers, we know that. We want quality numbers, we don’t just want any old player who can fill a slot, we want players who can be competitive.”Burnley’s current record stands at £15m, which the club paid Leeds United for Chris Wood last summer.