Yesterday, Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir was a special guest at the Einstein Gala in Toronto, ON, both to perform and to speak about the importance of innovation in both science and the arts. Ahead of that scheduled appearance, Weir appeared on local news affiliate CP24, talking one-on-one with host Travis Dhanaraj.The interesting conversation touched on a number of topics in a short time, including Weir’s presence at the gala and the connections between science and the arts, the foundation of the Grateful Dead, and Weir’s plans for the future. He mentions that he believes STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) should really be STEAM, with the A for arts, because of the importance of the creative spark. When the conversation turns to the Dead, Weir tells the story of meeting Jerry Garcia before the conversation turns to Weir’s plans for the future. In the discussion, Weir cites Count Basie and Johnnie Johnson as inspirational musicians who toured until their final days, saying “I’ve got nothing better to do” on multiple occasions.Keep on rockin’ it Bobby! You can watch the interview below:
In some ways, Draymond Green is pleased Kevin Durant left the Warriors for Brooklyn via free agency this summer.He’s happy for Durant, still a good friend, who got to exercise his right to decide where he wanted to play basketball. And, more oddly, Green is actually thrilled about the Warriors being an underdog again after a five-year stay as the NBA’s overwhelming favorites.Speaking with ESPN’s Rachel Nichols in a wide-ranging interview Wednesday, Green talked about how Durant’s decision …
Tanduay keeps outright semis hopes alive, routs AMA for 4th straight Despite recently falling short against the Golden State Warriors in the 2017 NBA Finals, the 25-year-old Duke product was seemingly in good terms with the team and its management, particularly with superstar LeBron James.However, ESPN recently reported several reasons why Irving reportedly wanted to be shipped out of the franchise he has called his home for the past six seasons.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsHigh on the list was his supposed inclusion in potential trade talks involving this season’s prized free agents Jimmy Butler and Paul George.“What followed was a whirlwind, with the Cavs putting forth a series of trade packages looking to acquire either Butler or George,” the sports news outlet said. “Some of these talks included Irving, which upset him even more when he found out about it, sources said. Previously, [former Cleveland GM David] Griffin had worked to keep lines of communication with Irving open, but now Irving was in the dark.” Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet MOST READ Butler, of course, went on to join his former coach Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota, while Hayward elected to sign with Boston Celtics.ESPN’s trio of journalists—Ramona Shelburne, Dave McMenamin and Brian Windhorst—also suggested that Irving was fed up with playing second fiddle to the league’s premier superstar, James.They cited James’ tendency to play point guard and dominate the ball, leaving Irving’s ball handling and play-making skills underutilized.Despite his supposed unhappiness with his role, Irving averaged a career best of 25.9 points this season and led his team in total shot attempts. Khristian Ibarrola /raADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Kyrie Irving #2 of the Cleveland Cavaliers GREGORY SHAMUS/Getty Images/AFPNews of Kyrie Irving wanting out of the Cleveland Cavaliers organization has certainly caught NBA fans off guard over the weekend.READ: Cavs star Kyrie Irving reportedly requests tradeADVERTISEMENT FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ View comments Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
Chances of squash’s inclusion in Olympic Games have brightened after the International Olympic Committee shortlisted it for the 2020 edition.The IOC’s Executive Board has listed baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, sports climbing, squash, wake-board and wushu for possible addition to the sports programme for the next Summer Olympics after Rio de Janeiro in 2016.The World Squash Federation (WSF) on Tyesday welcomed the news that squash has been included on the shortlist of sports to be considered for inclusion in the 2020 Summer Games.”We are delighted to be given this new opportunity to be considered for inclusion in the Olympic Sports Programme. I am confident that we will be able to show the IOC Programme Commission, the Executive Board and wider IOC membership that our case has become even stronger over recent years,” said WSF President N Ramachandran.”I truly believe that squash would be a great Olympic sport. It fulfills all the criteria for inclusion in the Games, has proven universality and growth and we have an absolute commitment from all our top athletes that an Olympic medal would be the pinnacle of their careers.”We also have high- profile world champions, exciting world championships for men and women, massive participation from juniors to masters on all continents and a healthy, thriving programme of youth development worldwide,”Ramachandran added.Squash was not included in the 2016 Olympic Games when WSF bid for it last time. Ramachandran exuded confidence that squash has all the required elements for a sport to get popular at world and the Olympic levels.advertisement”Squash has benefitted from some incredibly exciting technical innovations in recent years,including dramatic glass flooring, courts that can be sited in iconic settings such as the Pyramids and New York’s Grand Central Station. We are not a sport that stands still.”All this and the fact that squash is a wonderful example of one-on-one sporting gladiatorial competition, would make it a perfect addition to the Games. Our campaign starts with new energy and vigour and we will have an opportunity to take our message to the Olympic and sporting family over the next two years,” Ramachandran added. With inputs from PTI.
While Fauja Singh, the 101-year-old marathon runner, carries the Olympic relay torch in London on July 21, the Sikhs would celebrate the occasion by organising a langar (community kitchen) along the road for public. They would serve free Roti Rolls at several key points along the Olympic torch route from Greenwich to Waltham Forest between 7 am to 8 pm.Fauja, the oldest torch bearer at London 2012, would carry the Torch on the 64th day of the Olympic Torch Relay when it reaches Newham. The Olympic Stadium is also located at Newham.The langar would be organized by United Sikhs, an organization dedicated to promoting the Sikh identity and tenets. “We are proud to share with the public the 500 year old Sikh tradition of serving free meals,” said Parvinder Kaur, who would manage the langar project.She said the Sikhs from the UK and around the world would be participating in celebrations. They would show the world how the community embraced diversity.”We hope to demonstrate through Langar how the community involves in selfless service. We will be serving thousands of free vegetarian meals along the route,” she said, adding “It would also showcase how community food can bring people from all walks of life together.”Paul Uppal, MP for Wolverhampton South West, meanwhile said that he always believed in promoting the big society as a Sikh and as a Conservative. “I am looking forward to seeing Gurdwaras from all over the country come together to serve others in the name of faith and community.”advertisementThe people serving the langar would also be branded in yellow t-shirts carrying Fauja Singhs image. The langar would be served at several service points in each of the five boroughs, each serving at least 1,000 vegetarian roti rolls within two hours.Fifteen furdwaras from South and East London already granted their consent for participating in the event. The organisation also demonstrated how to prepare roti-rolls, an improvised version of cooked mixed veg filled in rotis made of whole wheat flour and plain flour. An executive chef already apprised the volunteers how to prepare roti rolls.United Sikh also invited gurdwaras from Scotland and Wales to partner with the London gurdwaras to set up more langar service points. The sources said several Sikh from India have also been planning to reach London to support the project.
We all know of the feats of Australia’s swimming golden girls, we’ve seen the image of Kerryn McCann fighting off the Kenyan runner in the marathon, while our cyclists and shooters are celebrating their most successful Commonwealth Games of all time. But while all of this is taking place in sports-crazy Melbourne, Touch is making the most of the influx of visitors to Victoria’s capital city.As part of the Commonwealth Games festivities, Touch Football Victoria assisted with a one hour Touch exhibition and coaching session last Saturday at the ‘Nestle Peters Beach Games’, just outside Melbourne’s Arts Centre and Concert Hall.In keeping with the Commonwealth Games theme, players who represented Australia and New Zealand in last year’s Victorian Trans Tasman Challenge were on hand to help out.Activities that kids love, such as ‘touchdown chase’, 2 v 1 Shootout, relay skills races and finally a game were enjoyed by the kids and their families who were watching. With enthusiastic volunteers showing off their skills in demonstration games, it was a great way to promote Touch Footy in front of the general sports-loving public of Melbourne, Australia and the world.For TFA Game Development Officer Carly Goodrich, being hooked up to a microphone to run the coaching session, a halftime interview with the ‘Beach Host’, and the live action being displayed on the big screen were some of the highlights for the day.Watching the kids and volunteers diving to score and stop Touchdowns was the centre of most participants’ focus, especially on the soft sandy surface – no pain but plenty of sand to be emptied from clothing for the rest of the day!Touch footy will be back at the Commonwealth Games, on the sand tomorrow (Thursday March 23) for another demonstration and coaching session, from 12.45-1.45pm outside the Melbourne Arts Centre and Concert Hall.So, if you’re in Melbourne for the Games, or know someone else who is, get them to drop in to the event and support the Touch Football Victoria volunteers promoting the sport in Melbourne.
HALIFAX – Thousands of Nova Scotians are without power today after a snowstorm battered the province.Nova Scotia Power says over 11,500 customers are still without electricity.That’s down from about 22,000 this morning.Power company officials say wet, heavy snow from a storm Friday is causing tree branches to touch or even pull down power lines.They say about 120 technicians are out across the province working to end the blackouts.Nova Scotia Power says they are aiming to have power restored to the vast majority of customers by the end of the day.The company says snow and high winds have made it difficult for repair crews to get to all the affected areas, and that it may take longer to bring power back to more remote parts of Nova Scotia.
Companies in this story: (TSX:EMP.A)Tara Deschamps, The Canadian Press TORONTO — When news broke Tuesday that consumers should avoid eating romaine lettuce because of an E. coli outbreak, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention swiftly demanded retailers remove the vegetable from store shelves and restaurants stop including it in meals.But in Canada, the country’s public health and food inspection agencies stopped short of insisting on its removal, despite it being linked to the illnesses of 18 people in Ontario and Quebec — six required hospitalization.Experts said the difference in approach likely stems from how many cases crop up in a country, how cautious nations want to be about protecting industries and how comfortable a country is with their hunches about the outbreak’s origins.Norman Neumann, the vice-dean of the University of Alberta’s School of Public Health, said during outbreaks impacting Canada and the U.S., health bodies from both countries will likely consult each other on investigating the source, but don’t always co-ordinate their responses.He suspects the U.S. has gone a step further than Canada in part because U.S. authorities reported 32 cases of E. coli, 13 of which involved a person who was hospitalized.“The caseloads are higher in the U.S. so it might suggest a little bit more of a severe response in the U.S.,” he said.Pinpointing the exact cause of the outbreak can be difficult because public health officials often have to search for similarities in places those who fall ill have visited or what they’ve eaten.It can take a week for symptoms to appear in some cases and by then, asking someone to recall everything they ate the week before might be difficult and thus, impact a health agency’s comfort in taking action against a particular source of the outbreak, Neumann said.“When there are outbreaks, certain things have been implicated only to find out years later the epidemiology evidence wasn’t sound or secure,” he said. “You can pinpoint a potential source only to find out a few weeks, months or years later it was maybe not the source and we ruined an industry in response.”The Canadian Food Inspection Agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment about why it had stopped short of instructing grocery stores to stop selling romaine lettuce and restaurants to cease serving it.However, the CFIA has said if the contaminated food products are identified in Canada, they will take the necessary steps to protect the public, including recalling the product.Nova Scotia-based grocery giant Empire Company Ltd. didn’t wait for an official request from the CFIA though. On Wednesday, it said it was temporarily taking 300 products containing the vegetable off shelves at about 1,500 Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton’s Drug Stores locations.Jim Chan, a former health inspector and manager at Toronto Public Health, said he believes it is within the provincial public health body’s abilities to issue a warning to all food premises, including restaurants, quick-dining options and supermarkets, to stop serving romaine until the CFIA confirms the product is safe.“I strongly believe that Health Canada/CFIA should call for retailers and wholesalers to remove all off shelves, as well as a recall to consumers,” he told The Canadian Press. “I think food safety should take priority.”Chan added that most of Canada’s romaine lettuce is imported from the U.S. because Canada’s growing season ended in August.The Public Health Agency of Canada said the 18 people who fell ill in connection to the outbreak in Canada reported their cases between mid-October and early November, and one complained of suffering a severe complication related to it.Those affected were between the ages of five and 93 and were located in Ontario and Quebec.The agency said before their illnesses occurred, the people affected reported eating romaine lettuce at home, in prepared salads purchased at grocery stores and from menu items ordered at restaurants and fast food chains.Typical symptoms of illnesses caused by E. coli include stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting, though the bacteria is usually benign.
A total of eight firefighters responded along with three fire units. CHARLIE LAKE, B.C. – The Charlie Lake Fire Department responded to a call early Sunday morning.The Fire Department responded to a fire at 4:39 a.m. Sunday on Lake Shore Road. The caller said they noticed a fire when they drove by the area on Lake Shore Road.When crews arrived on the scene, the fire was a brush/woodpile that was being maintained.
Paris: Saudi Arabia has slashed its oil production by more than promised as part of a pact to boost oil prices, the International Energy Agency said Thursday, while warning of mixed signals for global demand. In its latest monthly oil market report, the Paris-based IEA said production by OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia dropped to its lowest level in two years in March after the cartel agreed to cuts with Russia and other ex-Soviet states. However the IEA warned that demand fell in developed OECD countries by 0.3 million barrels per day (mbd) in the last three months of 2018 — “the first such fall for any quarter since the end of 2014”. OECD demand “is likely to have fallen again” in the first quarter of this year, it added, “due to weakness in some European economies, with perhaps more to come if there is a disorderly Brexit”. While demand in China, India and the United States grew, the OECD warned that “the oil market shows signs of tightening” amid “mixed signals” over the global economic outlook. In recent months the forecasts for global economic growth have been trimmed back on concerns about the impact of trade disputes, which come as export powerhouse China has been experiencing slower rates of expansion. OPEC production meanwhile fell by 0.55 mbd in March to 30.13 mbd — a four-year low — largely due to cuts in Saudi Arabia and crisis-hit Venezuela, the IEA said. Venezuela is an OPEC member but exempt from the cuts as it struggles with political turmoil, sanctions and repeated power blackouts. After a production glut lead to prices dropping last year, OPEC members and allies including Russia agreed in December to trim production. OPEC states have complied by 153 percent to their pledged production cuts made under the so-called Vienna Agreement, the IEA said. However non-OPEC states in the group have complied at a rate of 64 percent, with Russia lagging behind its target cuts. “Russia continues to adjust output gradually,” the IEA said, adding that “if the producers deliver on their promises, the market could return to balance” in the second quarter of this year. The concerted push to lower prices has been successful, with the price of Brent crude rising from 50 a barrel in December to above 71 in early April.