A former white supremacist convicted of the 1996 murders of a family of three was put to death by lethal injection on Tuesday in the first federal execution in the United States in 17 years.Daniel Lewis Lee, 47, was pronounced dead at 8:07 am (1207 GMT) at Terre Haute prison in the Midwestern state of Indiana, the Justice Department said.Lee was the first of three federal inmates scheduled to die this week after President Donald Trump ordered a resumption of capital punishment at the federal level. Lee and another man, Chevie Kehoe, were convicted in Arkansas in 1999 of the murders of gun dealer William Mueller, his wife, Nancy, and her eight-year-old daughter, Sarah.According to prosecutors, the pair robbed Mueller to steal cash and guns to finance the founding of a white supremacist “Aryan Peoples Republic” in the Pacific Northwest.”After robbing and shooting them with a stun gun, Lee duct-taped plastic bags around their heads, weighed down each victim with rocks, and drowned the family,” Attorney General William Barr said. “Today, Lee finally faced the justice he deserved.”Lee — who had since renounced his white supremacist beliefs, according to his lawyers — was sentenced to death while Kehoe received life in prison. ‘Shameful’ According to Ruth Friedman, one of Lee’s lawyers, he was strapped to a gurney for four hours while the final appeals were dealt with.”It is shameful that the government saw fit to carry out this execution during a pandemic,” Friedman said, and “when the judges in his case and even the family of his victims urged against it.”Earlene Peterson, 81, whose daughter and granddaughter were killed, had campaigned against Lee’s death sentence, saying she wanted him to spend the rest of his life behind bars.Peterson and other relatives had sought to attend Lee’s execution and sought to delay it on the grounds the coronavirus crisis made it too risky for them to travel to Terre Haute. An appeals court dismissed their suit on Sunday, and it was also rejected by the Supreme Court.Two other federal executions are scheduled for this week.Wesley Ira Purkey, 68, is to be put to death on Wednesday for the rape and murder of a 16-year-old girl.His lawyers have filed court motions seeking to prevent the execution, claiming he has dementia.”Wes Purkey is a severely brain-damaged and mentally ill man who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease,” said Rebecca Woodman, one of his attorneys. “He has long accepted responsibility for the crime that put him on death row, but as his dementia has progressed, he no longer has a rational understanding of why the government plans to execute him.”Dustin Lee Honken, 52, is to be executed on Friday for five murders including those of two girls aged 10 and six.The death penalty was reinstated on the federal level in 1988 but had been used on only three occasions before Lee’s execution, the last time in 2003.More than 1,000 US religious leaders urged Trump last week to abandon plans to resume federal executions.Trump, who faces a tough reelection battle in November, has called for stepped-up use of capital punishment, especially for drug traffickers and killers of police officers.Only a handful of US states, mainly in the conservative South, still actively carry out executions. In 2019, 22 people were put to death.Most crimes are tried under state laws, but federal courts handle some of the most serious offenses, including terror attacks, hate crimes and racketeering cases.Among the most notable recent federal executions was that of Timothy McVeigh, who was put to death by lethal injection in 2001 for the 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma that killed 168 people. “You’re killing an innocent man,” the Indianapolis Star quoted Lee, who was originally from Oklahoma, as saying in his final statement.Lee’s execution had been scheduled for Monday but was temporarily halted by a judge to allow for legal challenges to the drug that was to be used to put the federal inmates to death.US District Judge Tanya Chutkan said the single drug, pentobarbital, may cause “extreme pain and needless suffering” — and violate a constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 ruling, lifted the judge’s order overnight, however, and cleared the way for the federal executions. Topics :
In today’s final – which was played in Ballygiblin – they defeated Scoil Phobal Rathmore of Kerry 1-12 to 2-4.Loreto’s Kelly Ann Hogan was selected as Player of the Match.
In the article, the Mail said £439,321 was spent putting on lavish fundraising parties attended by celebrities, and more than £1m languished in bank accounts.Speaking to the BBC from Montreal, Canada, where he is playing for MLS side Montreal Impact, Drogba said all charity projects so far had been funded by his own sponsorship deals, rather than money from UK fundraisers.The former Ivory Coast international said: “I’m responsible for this money; I’m not going to spend it just to spend it.“I have projects for the long term and I know what I want to do.”The African charity, established in 2007, is run in the Ivory Coast but is also registered in the UK.Drogba said he will take legal action against the Mail, which said in a statement that it “stands by every word of this important story”.The Charity Commission said it wanted “further information” about the foundation’s spending plans and would look into “allegations that the charity has provided misleading information to donors and the public”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has welcomed an investigation into his charity over “serious regulatory concerns”.UK’s Daily Mail claimed only £14,115 out of £1.7m donated to the Didier Drogba Foundation had helped causes in Africa.The Charity Commission has opened a case to review concerns about the charity’s administration.But Drogba, 38, said “everything is clear” and “this money will be spent when it needs to be spent”.
StumbleUpon GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 Share FSB selects Glenn Elliott as new COO August 12, 2020 Related Articles After Fulham owner Shahid Khan retracted his £600m offer to buy Wembley Stadium, FA Chief Executive Martin Glenn has revealed the FA could seek to implement a levy on betting operators. Glenn had pushed for the sale of Wembley to increase the funding of grassroots football, however he failed to gain the backing of the FA Council and the potential takeover caused much discontent and division amongst English football, leading to Khan withdrawing his bid. The FA Chief Executive has now revealed there’s potential for a levy to be introduced on the gambling industry, in order to fund grassroots football. Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Glenn said: “France has effectively a tax on gambling. We would call it a fair return on football gambling.“All those betting companies use our intellectual property to have people lay bets, so why wouldn’t a small percentage of that be put into the thing that made that possible in the first place?“We, as football, could approach the government and say ‘Have you thought about something like that?’“It doesn’t need to be a big lump sum. We’ve got £64m going into the Football Foundation between the three of us (FA, Premier League and government) – imagine if it was £80m or £100m. If we could get to that it would be brilliant.”In a statement to the media, Gillian Wilmot, Chair of the Senet Group, responded to the proposals: “Gambling companies already pay significantly above the market rate for the right to advertise alongside live sport.“This is money which flows to broadcasters and ultimately benefits sport through the sale of broadcast rights. Instead of looking to further monetise gambling’s relationship with live sport, the FA, clubs and broadcasters should be looking to work with the gambling industry to reduce the amount of gambling advertising around football. This is in the interests of protecting young people from any potential future harm.”In its conditions for the potential sale of Wembley, the government prohibited the national stadium from having an official betting partner. The FA hasn’t had an official betting partner since it ended its partnership with Ladbrokes in 2017, citing a change of policy on gambling relationships as the reason. The Remote Gambling Association also responded, echoing the sentiments of the Senet Group: “The British betting industry already pays for the use of football’s intellectual property rights, not least through contractual arrangements with Football Data Co,” RGA chief executive Clive Hawkswood told Press Association Sport.“Alongside that, significant funds flow from the betting to the football industries through a range of commercial partnerships such as sponsorship, advertising and joint ventures.“If the football authorities wish to use some of those funds to support grassroots football then that is an option they might consider, but there is no basis whatsoever for the introduction of a statutory betting levy to support what most people would consider to be an extremely wealthy sport.” Submit Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Share