POV Sees Cargo Increase

first_imgzoom Cargo volume at The Port of Virginia (POV) grew 6 percent in February, an increase of 10,134 TEUs when compared with the same month last year.“We think February’s volume could have been even greater, but repeated snow storms and resulting lost work days had an impact on us,” said John F. Reinhart, the Virginia Port Authority’s CEO and executive director. “Anything we lost in February, we expect to be made up in March.”“The POV is dedicated to improving our service and operations to accommodate this increasing volume. We must achieve financial stability in the POV and optimize our facilities. The adverse impact of congestion compounded by several winter storms has resulted in continued operating losses. These current losses must be reversed through focus on costs, processes, productivity and coordination with our customers, partners and suppliers.”February’s growth was led by imports, which increased by 8.4 percent (6,515 TEUs) when compared with last February. (This January, growth was led by exports.) There was also growth in breakbulk tonnage, 1.1 percent; rail containers, 5.5%; barge containers, .6 percent; and vehicle units, 7.6 percent.For the first two months of the year, the port’s TEU volume has increased 5.7 percent (18,638 TEUs) when compared with the same period in 2013.Reinhart anticipates the growth in volume to increase through the spring as the G6 vessel-sharing consortium implements changes to its transatlantic services that connect the Europe, the Mediterranean and Asia trade lanes with the US East Coast. Last month, the G6 partners said four-out-of-the-five realigned services will call The Port of Virginia.“Two of those services will be last-out vessel calls, meaning Virginia will be their last US East Coast stop before heading to their foreign destinations; last-out calls can be crucial in developing export business,” Reinhart said.The port continues to have record-high fiscal-year-to-date TEU volumes through February: throughput through February in fiscal 2014 is 1,516,052 TEUs, up 5.3 percent when compared with the same period from fiscal 2013. portofvirginia, March 18, 2014last_img read more

Husbands wrongly accused of abuse after changes to legal aid rules charity

Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. “If they have not done anything abusive, or which they consider to be abusive, they might assume that it’s OK to do certain things, maybe contact their ex-partner and say ‘can I see the children this weekend’, and the next thing you know they are arrested and convicted because they’ve broken an order. He said orders made without the respondent being present were “unhelpful because the judge only hears one side of the story when they issue the order”. However, women’s groups said false reports were rare.Katie Ghose, chief executive of Women’s Aid, said: “Given that the police are recording record numbers of domestic abuse-related incidents and offences, we would expect the number of non-molestation orders being applied for and granted to increase over this period as more victims have the courage to report to the police and seek protection through the justice system.” Husbands have been wrongly accused of domestic abuse after changes to legal aid rules, a charity has warned. Figures show that there has been a significant rise in applications for non-molestation orders, which are granted in urgent abuse cases. Parent advocacy group Families need Fathers said that in some cases parents were encouraged to allege abuse in order to be granted an order, which then allows them to access legal aid funding. The law was changed in 2012 to remove legal aid for family court cases, except where abuse is involved. The statistics, obtained following Freedom of Information requests by the group, show that the number of orders made in England and Wales has risen by 30 per cent since 2011. Most of the orders are applied for by women, with more than 22,000 granted in 2017 compared to less than 2,000 which were applied for by men. A spokesman for Families need Fathers said that in some cases the order can be made when the respondent is not present, and they are likely to be unrepresented by a lawyer and may not understand its its implications.”A lot of people are coming to us through our support groups who have received documents through the post, they don’t really understand the significance of them and if they don’t act they make mistakes.  She added that the charity was “not aware of any cases where mothers have falsely applied for non-molestation orders”, adding, “we know from our work with survivors that non-molestation orders can be difficult to obtain and the court process itself can be distressing for victims.”She said the suggestion that the accusations are false “sends out a dangerous message to survivors” and “tells them that they may not be believed”. A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: “Non-molestation orders are an important means of protecting individuals in abusive situations. “When deciding whether to grant a non-molestation order the judge will consider all the circumstances, including the need to secure the health, safety and wellbeing of the applicant and any children.” read more